Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Wine cork flooring

I've been collecting wine corks to make flooring out of. I can't find much info on how to do it though. My plan is to cut them into 1/4 inch rounds, stick them onto contact paper for easier layout, spread an adhesive on the subfloor, place the 'tiles' on the adhesive, and and then seal with something. Does this sound like it'll work? Any recommendations for the adhesive and the sealant?

Gaugesquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wine cork flooring

Maybe I'm missing something, but did you say for a dollhouse? Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just buy cork flooring. If not then bottoms up
Cheers

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
the Musigician

Wine cork flooring

Some cork flooring manufacturers use remnants from making wine corks to make their flooring. (GOOD FOR THEM!) However, there is much more to it than just gluing it together an walking upon it. The final finish is what you walk on, not cork. Your idea will likely result in failure.

DM
Old 07-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,108

Wine cork flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaugesquared View Post
I've been collecting wine corks to make flooring out of. I can't find much info on how to do it though. My plan is to cut them into 1/4 inch rounds, stick them onto contact paper for easier layout, spread an adhesive on the subfloor, place the 'tiles' on the adhesive, and and then seal with something. Does this sound like it'll work? Any recommendations for the adhesive and the sealant?
You would have to coat the floor with poly, I don't see the point of making a flooring this way. I recently saw a floor covered with pennies. Didn't look good and the pennies would probably have bought a better flooring product. Probably the same way with the corks, for the price of a couple of good bottles of wine, you could buy some decent flooring.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #5

Wine cork flooring

I work in a location where I can tons of corks for free. Therefore, free flooring, other than the cost for the other material.

Why wouldn't this work?
Gaugesquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #6

Wine cork flooring

I'm not trying to be negative on purpose, but laying a floor is a lot of work in the first place. Doing it by the 1/4 inch seems awfully labour intensive to me.
A floor person is better suited to discuss the other aspects of it
Good luck and have fun with your project
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Wine cork flooring

I think that this could definitely work. However, I would probably glue them right to the floor or maybe find some sort of a mesh backing like you find on mosaic tiles. A wood flooring adhesive would likely work to adhere them to the subfloor. You would only want to use a very small amount, possibly applying the glue to each individual piece of cork. This way you would not see all of the excess glue that would be in the areas between tiles. Many cork floors need to be coated after installation, so coating them should not be an issue either. I would use an oil based polyurethane. My only concern is the puddles of poly that go into the areas between the pieces of cork. This makes me consider the possibility of using a pour on self leveling sort of finish or maybe even epoxy. Best of luck with your project and please post pictures.
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #8

Wine cork flooring

This actually sounds kind of cool and would be a good conversation topic. I suggest testing it on a piece of plywood first.
Woodbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

Wine cork flooring

I agree this would look really cool. I have seen "tiles" you can buy that are rounds made out of corks and they look amazing!
Please post pictures if you do it, I am very anxious to see how it turns out!

BabsHoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adhesive, cork, floor, tile, wine