Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #1

Share |

Will this work?

Hi folks...

I have a concrete basement and wanted to tile. The concrete was old and fundamentally sound but the surface was a little beat up so I was going to level it out with self-levelling product from LevelQuik... That called for a latex primer of theirs to be put on before the compound; this product: http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/TDS/TDS-234.pdf

My issue arises when I realize that this concrete shouldn't be levelled because it slopes to a drain. So, I decide to use this resurfacing concrete: http://www.sakrete.com/uploads/downl...cer%205-12.pdf

My questions now becomes... Can I put the new compound over the latex primed concrete floor or should I strip the primer somehow and if so, with what? All I wanted was to 'clean' up the original concrete before I tile.. but I keep shooting myself in the foot...

nstojic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #2

Will this work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstojic View Post
Hi folks...

I have a concrete basement and wanted to tile. The concrete was old and fundamentally sound but the surface was a little beat up so I was going to level it out with self-levelling product from LevelQuik... That called for a latex primer of theirs to be put on before the compound; this product: http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/TDS/TDS-234.pdf

My issue arises when I realize that this concrete shouldn't be levelled because it slopes to a drain. So, I decide to use this resurfacing concrete: http://www.sakrete.com/uploads/downl...cer%205-12.pdf

My questions now becomes... Can I put the new compound over the latex primed concrete floor or should I strip the primer somehow and if so, with what? All I wanted was to 'clean' up the original concrete before I tile.. but I keep shooting myself in the foot...

A concrete floor needs to be free of any paint or sealers in order to use a topping,and the primer you used has a sealer in it.

Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #3

Will this work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
A concrete floor needs to be free of any paint or sealers in order to use a topping,and the primer you used has a sealer in it.
thanks for the info... if it's latex, can I remove it with a brush and some diluted paint thinner? or lacquer thinner? or graffiti remover?
Old 12-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #4

Will this work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstojic View Post
thanks for the info... if it's latex, can I remove it with a brush and some diluted paint thinner? or lacquer thinner? or graffiti remover?

Latex is water based,so none of those will work,and it depends on what kind of sealer it is,hopefully not penetrating.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
Tileguy

Will this work?

The instructions on the Sakrete product you're thinking of using says;

"DO NOT USE A BONDING AGENT."

Removing the primer won't be easy, plus if I remember you're supposed to apply the patch within 24 hours of the primer, so it should not have been used already. oppps.

I think finding another product made by the same manufacturer, (Custom Building), is the best choice. Don't have an answer right now though.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #6

Will this work?

Cwood, Jaz, thank you for replying. The manufacturer got back to me and says to just use "any solvent stripper". I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
Tileguy

Will this work?

They did huh...... Well, generally we don't recommend that cuz the solvent gets soaked into the substrate and may become a bond-breaker. How are you gonna remove the film/residue from the concrete?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #8

Will this work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
They did huh...... Well, generally we don't recommend that cuz the solvent gets soaked into the substrate and may become a bond-breaker. How are you gonna remove the film/residue from the concrete?

Jaz
I just can't win with this project

Doing some research, I was going to scrape off the residue and give the surface several turns of detergent/water