Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #1

Share |

Will laminate planks line up?

Hi there. I'm hoping to put down some laminate flooring on the entire first floor. Would like it to be continuous with no transitions. Although I've afraid that the planks won't line up once I make it out to the family room. See picture for more details. There is a area in the middle that is not open (stairs, closets, etc.) I'm going to start in living room and go left and right, however I'm afraid once I make it past this part the blanks won't quit line line. Anyone have any experience with this?
Attached Thumbnails
Will laminate planks line up?-floors.jpg  

timmy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #2

Every time I went around an object the planks lined up at the far side. You may have to cut a piece out to fit the object because the boards end in the middle of a plank. Don't forget to leave a reveal at all walls for expansion and contraction.

CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #3

The object in the middle that I'm going around is like 10' X 10'
timmy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #4

It will not be a problem in the running.
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
Tileguy

Why wouldn't they line up? You are over-thinking this. If your planks begin good and straight then basically they will meet up again when you come around the obstacle.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:18 PM   #6

Hope you have some good knee pads. I just did my basement and it SUCKED, One pretty big mistake that made the job harder was starting with the boards facing the wrong way. Never even thought about it til I was half way done. Start with the tounge facing you, not the wall. I don't know why it never occured to me until so late in the job, but I wasn't turning back at that point.
nateshirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #7

Ok now I am confused My directions say to start with tongue facing wall and cut off if need to. Is this correct or is nateshirk wrong in what he said? My directions also say to lay parallel to longest room dimension. It also says to avoid "end-joint shadow" avoid running direction into the primary light source, which would be if I lay it parallel to longest room dimension. Help!
lusylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lusylou View Post
Ok now I am confused My directions say to start with tongue facing wall and cut off if need to. Is this correct or is nateshirk wrong in what he said? My directions also say to lay parallel to longest room dimension. It also says to avoid "end-joint shadow" avoid running direction into the primary light source, which would be if I lay it parallel to longest room dimension. Help!
Face with your tongue away from you when starting the floor.

Lay parallel with the seams in your plywood. Look for the longest unbroken seam, and make sure its straight to the wall. If it is, you can use this as your starting direction as a point to measure off of to make sure your floor is staying straight.

You can disregard the light advisory. That is aesthetic more than anything.
iamj6g is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iamj6g For This Useful Post:
lusylou (12-28-2011)
Old 12-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #9

take a look at these: http://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/sea...inate+flooring
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:46 PM   #10

tongue towards the wall. you want the groove facing out so you can slip the tongue inside it and tip it down to lock it. read the directions for your particular flooring. should be a sheet in each box or on the back of the box.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:00 AM   #11

If your nervous, you can snap a chalk line somewhere past the obstruction. Make sure you snap the line parallel to your flooring, and occasionally measure off your flooring to the line. Even if your off a little, it won't be noticeable. Sometimes while you are installing the floor, the previously installed section will move slightly. It has happened with me. Maybe I am too rough with it, I'm not sure. Good luck, take your time and I'm sure it will come out great.
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
Tileguy

Quote:
If your nervous, you can snap a chalk line somewhere past the obstruction. Make sure you snap the line parallel to your flooring, and occasionally measure off your flooring to the line. Even if your off a little, it won't be noticeable.
THAT makes no sense what-so-ever. What good does that do? Once a flooring product like this is being snapped together, it is what it is, you can't make any adjustments to amount to anything.

Quote:
Even if your off a little, it won't be noticeable.
And why is that? Why won't it be noticeable? Won't be noticeable by whom? Maybe the dog won't notice it but if it is off the chances "it won't be noticeable" are very very very slim.

I would hope this job was done by now.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #13

My reply about snapping a control line was in case the floor moved while being installed. If the shims along the starting wall move, the flooring could also move.
While the OP didn't say how wide his material is, I don't think most people would see a 1/4" difference along the wall of the center structure. There are 3 small walls that the flooring will parallel. a small difference will not be noticable by MOST people.
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #14
Tileguy

Okay Got it!