Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #1

Share |

will a hardwood floor reduce deflection?

We have an eating area in our kitchen that is a little bouncy. It is mostly noticeable when my 7yr old stomps like a T-rex. It is in an area that has a large span (14') and is framed 16 OC so I know what the issue is... child and span. My wife complains about this and I was considering putting in wood floors over the vinyl anyway, will there be an added bonus of bounce reduction? My thought is simply another 3/4" of floor is stiffer... right? It could help me sell the wood floor to her, but I don't want to say that it will if it doesn't wind up doing anything.
ericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
msv
Hardwood pro

Wood floors must be installed accross the joists to provide added stability to the subfloor. If you decide to have it done, make sure you mark your joists with a chalk line and you staple each row on the joists (and in between). But I think the best way to fix(partially) you problem would be to sister your joists from underneath and to add cross joists in between the existing. That should greatly reduce the vibration. For up/down bouncing, you might need to support your frame from below, by adding a column or two.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
50% down, 50% after all your complaints....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hardwood floors,
msv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #3

14 foot of span with what size joist ?
I think 14 foot span is too far for any thing , I would add a 4X12 Beam and cut the span in half , Depends on what is in the way , Plumbing ,heating ,but some way you should be able to cut the span down , I have used varied techniques , Using a beam to cut the span is the one sure fire way .tacomahardwoodfloors.com
tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #4

I have a floor span that is over 18' with I-joists
Possible span depends upon what is used for floor joists
You can span over 17' with 2x12's depending upon grade of wood & species & be close to L600
2x10's will get you ~14' with same conditions
2x8's drop to ~12'

The smaller the joist & the greater the span the more bounce
I installed 2 additional sets of LVL's in my great room to cut the spans down to ~8' for a stiffer floor
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I have a floor span that is over 18' with I-joists
Possible span depends upon what is used for floor joists
You can span over 17' with 2x12's depending upon grade of wood & species & be close to L600
2x10's will get you ~14' with same conditions
2x8's drop to ~12'

The smaller the joist & the greater the span the more bounce
I installed 2 additional sets of LVL's in my great room to cut the spans down to ~8' for a stiffer floor
I use to run a company framing residential houses , And yes you are correct . We use to span a 20' foot garage with 2X12 1 foot on center , But It was always a little spongy , LPI or Louissianna Pacific I Joist . LVI And all of those are good products . But I framed a number of houses with the engineer's approval on span and still had to help it out a little , What they say and what really happens is sometimes spongy floors
tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote