DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wife Wants Black Marble Tile in Kitchen..Good or Bad Idea?

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  .chris. 
#1 · (Edited)
Wife Wants Black Marble Tile in Kitchen..Good or Bad Idea? I've read up and have found opinions on both sides. But in reality...is it a bad idea to have a high gloss black marble tile in a high traffic area such as a kitchen? If recommended, what kind of long term maintenance would be required?

Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
Yikes! Don't Do It!

Oh my gosh...a person making the same mistake I did! I thought black marble would look fabulous in my kitchen. If you are not a cook, never splash, use velvet ropes to keep people out and only admire it from a distance, then this is the way to go!

I love to cook and have hi end appliances.....got some new flooring because black shows everything! Drop a couple grains of salt, gotta clean the floor and spot cleaning left the floor looking just that, spotty. I now have a tile floor that is very durable, not marble, not porous and not black! The only place you will see black is in the backsplash and as accents around my island.

Hope this helps...if you have lots of time on your hands, I would go for whatever look you want. If you want fast and easy, try the new tiles that look like wood...I have seen it in black and it looks fabulous and wears great.

#5 ·
i've seen it many times. granite would be my preference just because of how dense the black granites are. absolute black granite tile is nearly impossible to stain. same with black galaxy and black pearl. marble is often more porous and slightly weaker although it can be better looking due to the wild streaks you find in it.

i have white marble floors in my bathrooms. it's really not that slippery provided you don't do something dumb like step on it barefoot, wet and off angle with force.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.