Wife Wants Bamboo Flooring. Two Dogs Pee On Floor. - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wife wants bamboo flooring. Two dogs pee on floor.

My wife wants to install bamboo hardwood flooring throughout the house. Our two dogs have accidents on a regular basis and I am concerned that the urine will get between the boards and cause damage and that the urine will leave water/urine stains.

My suggestion is that we either just do our bedroom and see how it goes or go with tile or concrete throughout the house.

We are looking at spending thousands on materials, and I foresee the dogs ruining it. I hope I am wrong. Your thoughts? THANKS!

Advertisement

Sowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

Get rid of the dogs.
Then you can use any material you want.
Does your house smell like pee?

Advertisement

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #3

Getting rid of the dogs is not an option. My wife would get rid of me before she got rid of the dogs. There is a spot in the living room where the dogs keep going that smells like urine.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sorry to tell you but you guys are probably just getting immune to the smell. Unless you are exremely diligent in wiping it up the second they go, how could your house not stink?

The pee will seep just as you suspect and could potentially ruin the subfloor as well. If you have to compromise with the animals, she can compromise with the choice of flooring

Why can't the little darlings be trained to go outside?
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowak View Post
Getting rid of the dogs is not an option. My wife would get rid of me before she got rid of the dogs. There is a spot in the living room where the dogs keep going that smells like urine.
Get rid of the dogs and the wife?

Seriously though, I'd forget doing anything until the dogs are out of the picture. I'm assuming they are getting on in years if they are having such frequent problems. You'll only spend a large chunk on flooring just to have it ruined at this point. Even tile isn't a foolproof solution. I've seen plenty of ceramic in the local SPCA and what happens to it after a few years even with epoxy grout. Urine is acidic after all.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
Pro

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowak
Sounds like no where will be safe to put floor down. I will hold off & use the money to house train the dogs.
Don't tile unless your right next to the beach this will be a big turn off from guests and if you ever sell the home.
JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #7

One dog is old and the other has issues with getting nervous and peeing/throwing up. The dogs are here to stay.

I am looking for some specific advice from someone that has had dogs urine on hardwood floors. Does it ruin them/stain them? Does the urine seep down in between the boards? Thanks!
Old 03-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #8

YES I have seen it in plenty of homes. Usually the hardwood needs to get ripped out and the subfloor treated to remove the stink.

Sorry if you don't like the answer, but it is the reality of the situation
Old 03-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #9

I already knew the answer before I asked. I am asking here to help convince my wife that it is money down the toilet. Thank you.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #10

Yup I agree. You may as well burn the money at least it will help heat the house
Old 03-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Get rid of the wife and the dogs. There is no way anybody should have a dog/dogs that pee on the floor. It only takes one week to house train a puppy. They may have an accident, but that is because the human was not paying attention to the puppy. i have had dogs 16 years old and did not pee in the house.
Just plain nasty!

Last edited by Hardway; 03-02-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #12
Pro

Hardway, you didn't even try to make that statement a joke?! Don't get rid of anyone or animals they are family too, the op needs to wait it out for now if the dogs have issues then not much that can be done about it. It's unfortunate but its just not time now. I'm pretty shore that the op knows that dogs aren't like indoor cats.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSwet View Post
Hardway, you didn't even try to make that statement a joke?! Don't get rid of anyone or animals they are family too, the op needs to wait it out for now if the dogs have issues then not much that can be done about it. It's unfortunate but its just not time now. I'm pretty shore that the op knows that dogs aren't like indoor cats.
Not a joke, just plain nasty. Two dogs peeing on the floor there is no excuses. I love my dogs, but no way would I allow them to pee on the floor in the house. My dogs are always cross trained inside out side. They can be either in the house or outside.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 250

I do not understand why people let their animals ruin their home. They would not let their children pee on the floor. I agree with JetSwet, use the money to train the dogs. It is not hard. Your animal does not like to go in their home. Don't be lazy. Teach the dogs to go to the door. Pay attention to these signs and get up out of your chair and let them out. Breathing urin is not good for humans or animals. Stick your nose in an ammonia bottle for an hour or so. It is not the best way to live. Fix the problem before thinking about getting anything new.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodman58 For This Useful Post:
Hardway (03-02-2012), JetSwet (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #15
Pro

There are training mats that the dogs can use but requires training for them to use it in a last case scenarios.

Advertisement