Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #1

Share |

Why ??? Why no colorant pics ???

OK, so I tested out some samples of Aqua Mix Colorant for my kitchen tile grout and I'm impressed with how it looks. The application isnt hard to do either.
Why, however, cant I find any "after pics" from others who have used grout colorants ???
We are talking about the World Wide Web here. All I have found are opinions in favor and against (like anything else). Would anyone know any links to see some results? I'm reluctant to do the entire kitchen without seeing some actual results. Maybe this speaks for itself that people arent happy with colorants and marketing is the only thing moving these products.
I wonder.... THANKS

zman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Tileguy

z,

Colorants aren't something that is done with any frequency. In my ten years on these forums the subject has only arisen a hand full of times. I know of no pictures anywhere. Not sure a picture would tell you anything anyway.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #3

You want before and after grout colorant pics. Well you got em. LOL

http://www.prestigetilecare.com/tile...ngpictures.htm

http://www.tilecleaning.org/groutres...nprocedure.htm
natcotroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #4

I dissagree a little Bud,
It appears that grout colorants / sealers are really starting to take off. It seems to play a major role these days in grout restoration based upon what I have been reading. A tile guy / friend told me about Aqua Mix Colorant when he saw how great the grout looked at one of his jobs he did 15 years ago. The lady told him that she re-colored / sealed it her self. He was so impressed that it looked like new.
I am recently less than happy about the grout color on my new floor and want to find out how it looks. Just as important, how long will it hold up. It's also a great DIY project IF THE COLORANTS ARENT FRAUDALENT.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #5

Thanks for the pics Natcotroy.
The marketing side looks great, but could you tell me your experience with grout colorants ? How long should a typical kitchen grout colorant installation last ??? This is my biggest concern. Also, which ones are best. Currently Aqua Mix Colorant is my choice. It appears to be the one that should last the longest as well since it is made with epoxy. Thanks for any information you can offer and welcome to the forum.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #6

You should be able to tell how long it takes if you were able to do some samples. Aqua mix is a good long lasting brand. Truth is that most contractors these days use water based products that last just as long and are a lot easier to apply. Coloring grout takes some practice but if you are happy with how the aqua mix colorant goes on then just go for it. some water based chioces of professionals are. www.thisoldgrout.com, www.colorclad.com, www.groutshields.com. A typical kitchen 200 sqft kitchen floor takes me about 4 hours but I do two coats and I am considered extremely slow by my peers.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
Tileguy

Quote:
I dissagree a little Bud,
It appears that grout colorants / sealers are really starting to take off. It seems to play a major role these days in grout restoration based upon what I have been reading.
Hadn't given any thought to restorations using colorants, but even still, you don't see that much about it on any of the forums. More often than not, someone comes looking for an answer to repair their new grout that was improperly installed and someone suggest grout colorants.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #8

Thanks for the information. Just ordered samples from groutshields, but I would think the epoxy solution from Aqua Mix would last longer. The groutshields application is a quick "wipe immediately" after applying the water based solution to the grout. How could this last as long as the epoxy colorant which is thicker and needs an hour to dry before wiping it off ?

How long have you seen these products typically last ???
I hope it's at least 5 years. Also, do you have any "home made" pictures of your work ? The pics on the link you sent are more like super advertisements. I prefer the "average Joe" results to really believe in this stuff. THANKS SO MUCH
Old 05-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #9

All the pictures are just from jobs I have done. I have done a lot so ya I take the best pictures of a variety of jobs and post them on the website. Like I said the aqua mix is a good product and may be the most durable but difficult to apply and clean up. The water based products if applied correctly will last 10-15 years or more. As with everything preparation is the key. Professionals who do this for a living everyday all use the water based stuff. I have never used the aqua mix so I dont know.

Like I said colorsealing takes some practice. Realistically homeowners who try to do it themselves a lot of times make a big mess. Best advice I can give is at least call a professional in the area to give an estimate before starting on a job like this.