Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #1

Share |

why use Durock on floor?

What is the point of using Durock on floors before tiling? I just bought some at lowes, and whlie we loaded it into the cart, I could hear it cracking into pieces(although the pieces are held together with the mesh).

I have previously used Hardiebacker on the one other tiling project I did, and had no complaints, but thought I would try something different.

Obviously the Durock will not add any measurable strength to the floor, since it is in about 100 pieces. So why not just tile directly over the plywood underlayment? Or pour some thin set on the plywood, use a straight edge to get a nice flat surface, let that dry, then tile over that?

Fisher252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
Tileguy

why use Durock on floor?

Hi Fisher,

Concrete backers are not used to add strength, (none do), you use them so you will have a "tile friendly" substrate.

The hairline cracks are caused by improper handling, but makes no dif it's held together by the embeded mesh. You're gonna install it into fresh thin set mortar and fasten to the subfloor. Then tape the seams and you will have a monolithic base.

While you can't do the following.

Quote:
Or pour some thin set on the plywood, use a straight edge to get a nice flat surface, let that dry, then tile over that?
You can pour a bunch of SLC (self leveling compound), and do as you say. It's easier and cheaper to use a tile backer.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:00 PM   #3

why use Durock on floor?

I installed the Durock today. I was using the screws made for it. Almost every screw that I put in would pull the Durock up about half an inch(cracking it more) before pulling it tight into the thinset. Is this normal and OK, or was I doing something wrong?
Fisher252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
Tileguy

why use Durock on floor?

The threads of the screws were grabbing the board cuz it was loose. No big deal really, next time hold the board down with your foot. But you're supposed to start fastening in the middle and work out. That way it won't happen and the thin set doesn't ooze the wrong way and possibly make a hump.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.

Last edited by JazMan; 09-22-2011 at 06:13 PM.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote