Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2009, 02:55 AM   #1
dtc

Share |
Question

Why is my carpet self-destructing?

In July I had carpeting installed. When I run my Dyson vacuum over it, it sometimes catches a yard and tears it out. This is destroying the carpet, and could destroy my Dyson!

Here's two (out of 3) spots:

It looks like this is happening at the seams. Unfortunately, I had no input on the choice of carpet, the store, nor the installation - but I paid. (Family thing, it's complicated.)

Is this because the carpet was installed incorrectly? What should have happened?

Is this something I should fix myself, or should I go complain to the carpet store?

Also, I notice in some spots of the carpet, it feels like I'm walking on metal parts - possibly popped nails? hidden bolts? screws? Is it their responsibility to straighten this kind of stuff out before they take install the carpet after removing the old one? Or in other words - is this something I can legit complain about as well?

What a mess.

Thanks!

dtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:17 AM   #2

A very common problem with industrial carpets called 'tufted' that have a polypropylene backing and various length of filament yarns. This type of carpeting accounts for ~80% of the carpet out there...cheap to make, look OK - but suffer from the same problem: catching a filament in a vacuum cleaner beater bar and unravelling the whole thing. Typically happens at seams...

Seams should all be sealed with latex glue as the filaments on a seam can't just be left "hanging". Residential and Industrial carpetting installation standards require sealing to be done - by obviously your guy didn't...but maybe he was a cheap "fly-by-nighter" - depends what you paid for and from whom...

That's an installation issue and is fixable. Who pays for it depends...

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Look at your warranty. According to most carpet mills, a Dyson is the worst vacuum to use on carpet. It voids most carpet warranties. It is poorly engineered. The Dyson beats the crap out of carpet and not in a good way. Also, no beater bar vacuum is supposed to be used on loop carpet. If you weren't warned by your retailer,you shoud have been. Even sealing the seams won't help with a Dyson.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote