Why Cut Off Tongue Of First Row Of Laminate? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Why cut off tongue of first row of laminate?

Hello, I am a new to this forum and am nearing laying the first board on my first laminate flooring project. I am installing pergo over concrete with vapor barrier. I've pried up baseboards, patched, sanded, cleaned and painted walls, pulled up carpet, pad, tack strips and thresholds to vinyl. I'm a middle-aged, fat, lazy & anal woman reading all the articles & manufacturer instructions plotting out my steps for the actual laying of the floor. I am studying the operating manual on a ryobi 10 inch compound miter saw I have on loan for the project. I'm going to be putting the baseboard back on and then quarter-round. why does the tongue need to be cut off the first row of laminate? I worry about losing my guaranteed straight edge I'm starting with. Thanks for any advice!

Advertisement

sammie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

never done it myself.

Advertisement

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

depending on what is used for a base moulding, that tongue could allow too much of a space between the wall and the first floor board. You need to leave a gap around the floor to begin with so when you add that gap to the tongue, the distance to the actual floor surface can get wider than many base moulding treatments.

you have to realize, if you are required to allow a 1/2" gap, that is going to be from the closest point to the wall from any point on the board. If you leave the tongue on, that would mean the measurement would be from the tip of the tongue to the wall.

other than that, there is no need to do it that I know of.

removing the tongue would be much better performed by using a table saw where you will maintain your factory straight edge much easier.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

That makes sense. Since I'm going to use quarter round & base molding & have the floor colored sealant for perimeter, I think I'm going to leave the tongue on.

I also found out the mitre saw won't work, only good for up to 6inch widths. I'll have to use my jigsaw for now and figure out how to get a table saw or something else by the time I need to do length cuts.

Thanks!!
sammie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammie10 View Post
I also found out the mitre saw won't work, only good for up to 6inch widths. I'll have to use my jigsaw for now and figure out how to get a table saw or something else by the time I need to do length cuts
Jigsaws and miter saws are great tools for laminate flooring when the cut edge is hidden by moulding. Laminate flooring is hard on your blades so unless you need perfection I would not use my best blades. Typical 10" mitersaw has a horizontal cross cut capacity of 6" and you can simply flip the board for wider laminates.
aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote