Who Can Aluminum Oxide Coat An Unfinished Board? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Who Can Aluminum Oxide Coat an Unfinished Board?

Does anyone know how I can find someone to aluminum oxide coat an unfinished/stained board? My flooring installer has been screwing up my stairs (lesson learned: hire a stair professional to do stairs) and basically installed my 2nd floor starting about 1/2" from where he should have. Now I think my best option is to have a custom floor plank/stair nosing piece created. My stair guy can make the piece, but we need to find someone to aluminum oxide coat it for durability and to match the existing product. Are there businesses that do this?

Thanks for your help.
Tommy

Advertisement

thomasgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Not really sure what you are asking, a pic would help. I am not aware of aliuminum odixe being a stair finish.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Not really sure what you are asking, a pic would help. I am not aware of aliuminum odixe being a stair finish.

Earlier in the summer when I was visiting with my sales rep, he told me they now offered aluminum oxide finish. I'm a poly man, so I wasn't interested. But I do know it's available to us professionals.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:01 AM   #4

All of my newly installed flooring is aluminum oxide finished. I am having my carpenter create a custom board to fix an installer's mistake. This board will need to be stained and finished prior to installation. I'm trying to find a company/individual that can finish it with an aluminum oxide coating so it will match the existing flooring as closely as possible.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:20 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,476

we use alum oxide for sandblasting, zec grinding wheels, or broadcasting into conc sealers for pedestrian ' grip ',, try mixing some in the wood's finish sealer & apply w/brush or roller,,, broadcast more onto the wet surface & backroll,,, 2nd coat of plain sealer.

caution - keep stirring the mix'd solution so the stuff doesn't settle to the btm of the can.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:52 AM   #6
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 528

Absolute Coatings now makes an Acrylic floor poly with aluminum oxide in it. I don't know anyone who has used it so I can't tell you how well it works. As for getting someone to do it for you, that will a) cost a fortune for one board or b) not be worth anyone's time to do.
poppameth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:52 AM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
we use alum oxide for sandblasting, zec grinding wheels, or broadcasting into conc sealers for pedestrian ' grip ',, try mixing some in the wood's finish sealer & apply w/brush or roller,,, broadcast more onto the wet surface & backroll,,, 2nd coat of plain sealer.

caution - keep stirring the mix'd solution so the stuff doesn't settle to the btm of the can.
The OP is talking about an aluminum oxide product that is formulated into a clear wood coating. It is used as a factory finish on most hardwood flooring for high abrasion resistance. It is not an anti-slip/anti-skid material. I haven't seen any for a DIY application.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:10 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies. I realize it would cost a fortune, but so would ripping up the entire second floor of my house to re-floor it properly where it meets the stairs. That's why with either scenario, my floor contractor who screwed up will be paying for it out of his pocket. So money wasn't really an issue, it was more of a question of "is it even possible for this to be done to one board by someone?".

I'll probably have to find a good poly product off the shelf then.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:51 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

never heard of DIY alum oxide finish.
I am not even sure how that is possible in an affordable way.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:50 AM   #10
Doer of Many Things

http://www.lastnlast.com/Lnl1500WoodFloorFinish.php

From Absolute Coatings.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth View Post
I knew my floor rep said something was available. I wasn't interested, so I didn't inquire any further.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #12
Doer of Many Things

If you end up going with that product, make sure you get that exact product. They do make another version that requires an activator to be mixed it. It's much more difficult to use. Also keep in mind that, even though this has Aluminum Oxide in it, it's still not the same as a factory finish. Factory finishes are sprayed on, and there is no way to put the sheer quantity of Aluminum Oxide that the factory finish has into a DIY product. You still get an AO finish, but it won't have as much AO in it.

Advertisement

Tags
aluminum oxide , flooring , staining , stairs