Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2008, 01:27 AM   #1
1921 Sears&Robuc

Share |
Question

White Pine Hard-Wood floors?

Well I know that pine(white pine) is a soft wood, but how well will/can this type of wood hold up for the purpose of using it for Hard-wood flooring?

Thier is no other wood options available for my color application, in my home. I have tested and expiramented with 7 different types of woods when I installed my custom cut ( to match original style, pattern from original build) crown molding of my 1921 home.

Many many yrs ago I decided I would do something with green in it for my home! My wife and I love green very very much, it is our favorite color, not to mention it is a beutiful when properly applied. So for my application we started with many planks of differnt woods, and went through 17 color tries at the hardware store till we found the exact color/shade of green we required fo rour application! So we found the perfect color, but the perfect color required our crown molding to be custom cut out of white pine. So all crown/baseboard molding is stained green(our custom special mixed color)
Most or atleast most I have ever seen most folks use a standard color molding with custom colored walls, and we wanted to do something different so we went with a standard color for the walls(white) and went with our special mixed-custom color for our molding! We then installed matching carpet for our home aswell, this again was a special ordered carpet, from one of the large company for a very large cost fo rthe 2 rooms we went with this color/scheme application for.
So every since I installed the carpet I have regretted it! I hate carpet! I hate the feel on my bare feet! I hate carpet, it stains to easy(thanks to grandchild lol) ok I am not going to blame it all on him, because we our hillbillies and its hard to keep mud and dirt out of the house no matter how hard we try or how expensive the carpet is!
So I am up to my winter project for the yr! Installing hardwood floors to match my crown, and baseboard moldings! but in order to do this it will have ot be cut out of white pine( no other wood will take the custom colored custom mixed stain).

So talk to me about using a soft wood for a hardwood application!!!
Is thier a hardner to make the seal coat harder to withstand/preserve the life of going with white pine versus, natural hardwoods??? Let me know!(without changing the color of my stain applied to the wood)

Types of wood sampled to match our color stain without success: Yellowpine, walnut, redoak, white oak, pauplar, beech, cherry!!!

Again my home(2 rooms) were designed by the color of our custom made custom mixed stain, so thier is no alternative to my color stain..... if we cant use white pine fo rthis application then I will stay with carpet, since we already have a perfect match to our color!

Thanks for reading and help if you can!

My house, a 1921 Sears-Robuk 1 1/2 story 4 bedroom, 2 bath 1975 sqr ft house! Ordered March 1921, delivered via: railcar 1922, assembled October 1922! Ignorance is not having the knowledge of', Stupidity is having the knowledge of' and not using it!

Last edited by MrShadetree0222; 10-20-2008 at 01:33 AM.
MrShadetree0222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:43 AM   #2
jan

Try maple. It blotches when you stain it but no worse than pine.

jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
1921 Sears&Robuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan View Post
Try maple. It blotches when you stain it but no worse than pine.
I cannot say that I have expieramented with maple for the testing of my color application, but I do know from expierience of cutting maple for the purpose of firewood, it is a natural dark color wood, almost like a cherry or a red oak. I will surely give it a try, as I would like to have a hardwood for the purpose of doing my hardwoods floors. I am scared that the soft wood is not going to hold up for many many yrs of living and mantaining its beauty over the yrs to come! But my carpet costs me $3300.00, for the two rooms, and if I have to replace it every ten yrs, and my flooring looks like it will only cost me $900 to do it, then it financially makes more sense to me to use the hardwood in the event I would have to replace it every ten yrs!
So I guess my new question being can the soft wood work for application purpose for a ten yr span? Assuming I cant find a hardwood to take my color stain!
My house, a 1921 Sears-Robuk 1 1/2 story 4 bedroom, 2 bath 1975 sqr ft house! Ordered March 1921, delivered via: railcar 1922, assembled October 1922! Ignorance is not having the knowledge of', Stupidity is having the knowledge of' and not using it!
Old 10-20-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

White pine is extremely soft and will be subject to lots of dents and dings. A hard finish may prevent damage from abrasion. No amount of hard finish coating will prevent failure of the wood. (egg shells are very hard, but without something to back them up, well.........) Why not have your paint store reformulate your stain for a light colored hardwood like maple of white birch?
Maintenance 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
1921 Sears&Robuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
White pine is extremely soft and will be subject to lots of dents and dings. A hard finish may prevent damage from abrasion. No amount of hard finish coating will prevent failure of the wood. (egg shells are very hard, but without something to back them up, well.........) Why not have your paint store reformulate your stain for a light colored hardwood like maple of white birch?
I already have 3/4 gallon of the custom,special mixed stain left from the molding! I purchased this mix as a gallon cause by research i found no two gallons of dye are ever the same(gallons of dye used to mix the stains and paint) so if i would of returned 10yrs later and have them remix the stain it would never be the same, even though the machine/mixer will distribute the right amount of different dyes, into the mix gallon, it will never be the same cause the dye is never the same! This also applies to paint dyes aswell for those that didnt know that!
I spent 7 hrs at the store that day, and I/we(paint techs) wasted 17 pints of stain before we got it right! I had to pay fo rall of the custom mixes as they claimed there was no use of rthe waisted colored stained as no one woul dever of used this color of stain, especially mixed the way it was mixed!
Yes it is an option but I am seriously not into wasting the money, and time to start all over again to accomidate a different type of wood! but yes an option if i want to do and do it right!
Old 10-20-2008, 04:00 PM   #6
(the original)

I agree that maple would be your best bet if you can make it match close enough with your finish. If not, you might want to give poplar a try. It might not dent quite as easily as pine, though it's still a softwood. If you do go with a softwood, I'd suggest Waterlox for the finish, following their softwood floor instructions. You might also want to make a "NO SHOES" rule in those rooms and put felt casters on all the furniture legs.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:13 AM   #7

Dont let any fat women in high heels walk on it..they will ding it up.
Gevans17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:48 AM   #8
1921 Sears&Robuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevans17 View Post
Dont let any fat women in high heels walk on it..they will ding it up.
Not a very nice comment to make! Again just proving my theory about the different types of folks out here in this world!
Why couldn't of the rest of the world of been raised the way we were raised around these parts!
Old 10-23-2008, 11:12 AM   #9

Sorry if my ccomment offended you, but our dining room floor was destroyed by women in spike heels. Get something like Braz Cherry with a high hardness index.
Gevans17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:24 AM   #10

It doesn't take a big person to damage almost any wood floor with stiletto heels. Most woods can be marked with just a thumb nail.

With that being said, White Pine is definitely not a good flooring material. Great for paneling, siding, and other applications but it will not stand up to the abuse a floor is going to receive. The grain is a bit different, but have you looked at Fir & Larch? It will take a stain better than Maple would and is adequately hard enough to stand use as flooring. If you're going for a green color, I doubt the slightly darker shade would be noticeable.

Good luck!

trjason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardwood flooring, softwood flooring