Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

White Haze on Grout??

I installed a new tile floor in my kitchen. The grout I purchased was supposed to be light grey but looks almost white. There are also areas in the grout that are darker(more like the correct color). I can't tell if the grout just turned out lighter and I have dark spots or if the grout IS darker and there is a white haze actually ON the grout. How can I tell? I know that using too much water when mixing or when cleaning can cause inconsistencies, but not sure where to go from here. I would like to avoid staining the grout if possible.

Jlail9905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
Renovations contractor

Rewards Points: 250

White Haze on Grout??

Was it all one batch of grout or is the area large enough that you had to mix a few lots of grout? Unless you are consistent and depending on which grout you used (different makes of grout have varying colour consistency) then the colour may vary depending on the water/mix ratio. Also did you post this thread right after grouting or has it actually fully cured yet? Have you sealed the grout?

Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 608

White Haze on Grout??

I would recommend a better quality grout in the future. You didn't mention what you used.

This may ruffle some feathers, but I would mix up some very weak muriatic acid wash and drag it across the floor with a sponge, then rinse with water.

This, however, will only get the job done once. It seems when you mop up the floor in the future, it will haze again.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

White Haze on Grout??

Bonzai...it was multiple batches from the same bag...I was mixing a little at a time since this was my first time..the area was about 200 sf. The problem is pretty consistent throughout the entire floor. It has been 6 days since I grouted and I have not sealed it. I tried cleaning off with water and a toothbrush but it doesn't seem to help...when it's wet it even's out to the light grey but when it dries it's white again. I haven't tried anything else for fear of making things worse.

Cleveman...would the acid harm the tile? It's porcelain. My main concern is making the grout color consistent at this point. The lighter color would be ok if not for the darker spots because it causes the grout to look dirty.
Jlail9905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:47 AM   #5
Renovations contractor

White Haze on Grout??

I only use either the Mapei grouts or the Prism brand by Custom. They both have great color consistency and low shrinkage ... They both set up very fast though.

Your options are basically to stain a darker shade or scrape out and start over.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonzai For This Useful Post:
Jlail9905 (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,910

White Haze on Grout??

Try using an 'enhancing' sealer in a discrete spot--the enhancing sealers leave the grout darker--like they look when wet---it's a way to save a blotchy grout job.

Over washing the wet grout is often the cause---to much water in the sponge---
Jlail9905 (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #7

White Haze on Grout??

The acid won't do anything to your tile, only the grout.

Start with maybe two ounces of acid and 2 cups of water and maybe a utility type brush about as big as a shoe-shine brush.

Your grout might fizz a bit when you first apply the acid.

Oh, you can wet the floor with water first. Then of course rinse with water later.

This should give you some uniformity. This is what is used to give brick walls uniformity, as several batches of mortar are used going up a wall.
The Following User Says Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
Jlail9905 (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,084

White Haze on Grout??

cleveman said;

Quote:
This may ruffle some feathers, but I would mix up some very weak muriatic acid wash and drag it across the floor with a sponge, then rinse with water.
Yeah, you think? to recommend Muriatic acid indoor is beyond irresponsible. Don't do it. Instead try white vinegar and see if it'll fix this for you. Try a mild solution like 1:10 or so, but even 50:50 or straight can be used. If that doesn't work you can use Sulfamic Acid crystals per directions.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:39 AM   #9

White Haze on Grout??

I've been using it for about 30 years. What exactly is your beef with using it indoors? Never cleaned any brickwork indoors?
Old 06-24-2012, 02:08 AM   #10

White Haze on Grout??

I agree with the sulfamic acid. I bought some of this to clean tiles in my own house and it worked very well. Just follow the directions, it's strong stuff.

RhodesHardwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discoloration, flooring, grout, haze, tile