Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Where tile meets carpet

My wife and I are installing carpet and tile where hardwood once was. It is on a concrete slab addition. We had planned on installing carpet over the hardwood - no problem.

We now would like to place tile in a 4' x 8' area in front of the patio door for obvious reasons.

Given the entire room is currently hardwood, what is the best way to handle the tile?

I know that I need to remove the hardwood in the area where the tile will go, but at what elevation should I strive to get the final tile? Level with the hardwood (which will be covered with carpet. Or just above the hardwood so that the tack strip height and tile height line up?

In a new construction scenario how is the transition from tile to carpet handled with respect to elevation???

Please advise! Sorry to ramble.

FirstAndTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

Where tile meets carpet

In new construction if it is a spec house the builder usually doesn't give a damn and the tile goes directly on the concrete making the carpet higher than the tile.

With contract builds these elevation issues are usually discussed with the home owner. There are many variables.

There is a product named Schluter DITRA. DITRA is basically an isolation product that separates the concrete from the tile installation and allows the concrete and tile to move at different rates without issue. DITRA comes in two thicknesses: 1/8" and 5/16".

Most regular tile is about 5/16" or thicker so it depends on what tile you choose but the 5/16" DITRA should work in your case.

Schluter also makes a metal tile edging for use when transitioning between tile and other floor coverings. The tile edging must be installed when installing the tile.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,368

Where tile meets carpet

Before you make any decision--check the clearance at the patio door---If hardwood has already been installed,You may not have the option of raising the tile to more closely match the carpet height--

---Mike----