Where Should Wood Floor Stop And Carpets Begin. - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Where should wood floor stop and carpets begin.

Hello,

i am helping my brother install some wood flooring in his entrance way. Currently there is a small bit of linoleum in the first few feet of the entrance (you enter on the second floor), then carpeting on the whole upstairs. He is about to sell the house and the lino looks quite dated, so the plan is to change it to wood. He has bought wood which matches what is on the stairs and is downstairs.

Below are 3 diagrams. One is how the floor is currently. You enter on the second floor, the leopard print indicates the ugly lino, the rest is carpet, except 2 tiled bathrooms.. The yellow area are stairs leading down - there is a thin bit of carpet on the top step. His idea was to wood floor the entire hall area. But I was thinking then you have 3 identically carpeted rooms separated by wood floor. Would it look better to just put the wood floor in the first part of the hall, and then leave the hallway between the rooms carpeted.

Because we are doing this for resale, personal preference does not matter as much as what will sell.

We do not have the option to only do the area which is currently lino'd, as the carpet on the top stair is damaged. Other than that, all carpet is in very nice shape.

Advertisement

rickjames8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Where ever you want them to be. It is ultimately up to the person designing the flooring as to what and how they want it to appear. There really is no rulebook how carpets, tile, wood flooring should be made to be, as flow pattern room to room.

Personally, wood flooring is easier in homes, where you have pets, or people with allergies, because it will not grab dirt, dust, dander, pet hair, like carpet. Same goes for tile flooring. As for your design, I would say just go with what you feel is best for what you want.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,312

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickjames8 View Post
He is about to sell the house and the lino looks quite dated, so the plan...
get some new vinyl, put it right where the old vinyl is...
and call it done.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
get some new vinyl, put it right where the old vinyl is...
and call it done.
We had considered that, but there was the issue of the worn carpet over the top step anyway. Add to that, we did the downstairs wood floor ourselves and found it to be a pretty straightforward and no-so-expensive job. We figured for a very minimal investment of money and time we could make a big improvement.

...and I've just spent the last 3 hours yanking out carpet staples, so we're past the point of turning back.
rickjames8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Really depends on how long that carpet has been there, and how cheap it was, when the original owner purchased it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,312

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickjames8 View Post
the issue of the worn carpet over the top step anyway
...and I've just spent the last 3 hours yanking out carpet staples, so we're past the point of turning back.
No, you're not.

If you're selling soon. Don't over fix.

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote