Where Floor Tile Meets Tub - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2008, 12:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Where Floor Tile Meets Tub

I'm getting ready to begin laying new ceramic tile in the bathroom. One problem I'm noticing as I've done a preliminary dry layout is that the base of the tub has a slight curvature. Near the corners of the tub the tile sits flush but towards the center there is a maximum gap of 3/16 of an inch. Any recommendations of how to best lay the tile along the tub?

1.) Lay the tile as it is and leave the gap as is defined above and fill with grout.
2.) Lay the tile as it is and leave the gap as defined above and fill with chaulk.
3.) Adjust the tile layout to minimize the gap and cut the tiles to fit the slight curvature of the tub.

Is there any other option that I'm not thinking of. Thank you in advance for your insight!

Advertisement

brneilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:09 AM   #2
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by brneilly View Post
2.) Lay the tile as it is and leave the gap as defined above and fill with chaulk.
I say #2 except I'd use caulk.

If you can, you could try to bevel the bottom edge of each tile that will butt to the tub. That will lessen the gap but you still need to caulk....not grout.

Good luck

Angus

Advertisement

angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

If possible I would move your layout, if not then atleast make sure whatever you do it is a consistant look across the WHOLE tub not just the center spot. If you have a big gap in the center and not at the sides it will look like you cut all the tiles in the middle too short and be very noticable. But yes, either way you will need to caulk it, I always grout first then caulk over it, but the tub will move everytime it's used, so grout alone is not suitable, you'll see cracking in no time!
dochorn is offline   Reply With Quote