Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

where to find narrow plank width laminate

trying to find some narrow width planks in laminate to try to match up to older home where hardwood planks are very narrow, about 1.5 inches wide. color not real important as we have to have the original floors refinished. new floor will be in a different room but will join old floor at doorway. would like them to be close to the same width. any suggestions on where to find?

pamelajosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I don't believe they manufacture this floor size any more.
To match this floor the only way I know of is have a saw mill make, dry, and mill it to the dementions you want. You will have to know the thickness and species for them to match it. You can go to the sister site linked below and ask for help in finding a sawyer in you area that also mills flooring.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f26/

woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

I think you mean the appearance of 1.5" planks, because you won't find laminate flooring where the actual size is that narrow. It would eliminate one of the main selling points of laminate, that being, fast installation. Having said that, it's gonna be a tough find. The species should also match if you want to get close to your existing floor. I have seen this done and just want to warn you that what your attempting sounds good, but many times, looks terrible. Your never gonna come close to the characteristics of real wood with a laminate and no matter how good your refinisher is, the sheen of the two floors will be different. I would suggest that you either use the same exact type of wood and stain/finish it along with the old floor or choose a contrasting type of floor, such as tile. If your set on laminate, I would go with a much darker or lighter color and maybe run the planks perpendicular to the existing. Otherwise it will most likely look like a cheap patch job. Just my opinion. PS-I hope by "laminate" you mean a "Pergo" type floor. If you mean an "engineered" real wood floor you should probably change your thread.
SoCalLivin is offline   Reply With Quote