What Would This Look Like? (Pics) - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What would this look like? (Pics)

I have a 750 sq ft. condo. There is a patch of original white tile in the front entrance, new carpet in living and dining area, and allure vinyl flooring in kitchen, hallway, bathroom and bedroom.

My question: I was considering doing a tile on the bathroon floor then up onto the shower walls. If I add a tile floor in bathroom, would it look weird because I have too many floor choices in a small area? Is there a tile that would look good?

A pic is included that should show what I am talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
What would this look like? (Pics)-dscf0225.jpg   What would this look like? (Pics)-dscf0226.jpg   What would this look like? (Pics)-dscf0227.jpg  

Advertisement

dolvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

it would look fine as long as you do not try to match the other tile.
try to design around the room. using the same floor and matching wall tile in it's own unique style will look best.
trying to match will only look close, but no cigar.

good luck

Advertisement

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:58 AM   #3

Thanks very much for the reply... I had a desinged come in today and tell me to remove the white tile in the foyer (see pics) and put down the same as I am putting in bathroom to tie everything in.

What are your thoughts on this? And what kind of job is it to remove that existing white tile?

Adam
Old 08-31-2008, 08:12 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I don't agree with many designers I think alot of their ideals are a bit off the wall and really don't take the HO tastes into consideration Having said that I do agree with this one.Your concerned about to many types of flooring so if the front part matched the part you want to do I believe that would be your best option.Trying to match what you already have could be difficult due to age,fading,wear,and who made it so if you replace the front part also it will all match fine.
Keep in mind you asked for opinions and they are like backsides everyone has one but only yours counts you have to live with it
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:26 PM   #5

I agree with you that some designers are not so good. Do you have an idea of how hard it would be to take out the existing foyer tile?

Thanks for your reply.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:06 PM   #6

if you have a good size concrete chisel then once you get the first couple going it should be easy....ok not easy but less troublesome or go rent a small jackhammer with a chisel end,once you get the tile up take a grinder to the left over thin set and/or grout.Tip hang some plastic so you don't get as mush dust all through your house and the wife don't beat you silly trust me on this I had an air chisel when I did it and it wasn't to awful bad......Oh heres another tip if you have kids make them leave you will say alot of word you don't want them repeating Good luck
Old 08-31-2008, 04:10 PM   #7

If I do decide to have all the tile work done I will probably have the installer take out the old tile for me. I have a 2 grand budget for the work.. If they can do it for that, great, if not then I will probably just live with what I have.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:47 PM   #8

2000 for the foyer ,bath floor and walls is that parts and labor??if so it might be a little tight.If they cant do it all for that have them do the bath and you do the foyer the hardest part will be getting the old up but like I said before once you get the first couple out it goes pretty well

Advertisement