What To Use To Protect Old Wood Floor? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

what to use to protect old wood floor?

I want to use a 12x16' room in my 100-year old apartment for an art studio, but I need to temporarily cover the wood floor first. I don't want to use adhesive or too many screws. I'd like to be able to mop it. Could I just lay down some plywood over some plastic sheeting without screwing it down? The existing floor is pretty smooth. How about a linoleum sheet? I was thinking that would be more water resistant, but how could I install it so it would be easy to remove? I'm trying for something fairly cheap and easy. Looks aren't so important. Thanks for any suggestions.

Advertisement

canoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

canoo !use a laminate floor !cheep totaly flating and very durable even with moderate mopping of the floor.Don't get the one with v grooves between the board that type does not mop well.there is a foam underpad that you use under the flooring it helps cut down noise and adds insulation to the floor!

Advertisement

Orangeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:31 AM   #3
wilderstyle

Rewards Points: 75

Why not create a temporary floor? You will have to "build it" inside the room. You know how they insert a dance floor in a bar or diner? Laminate flooring is floating and does not have to go wall to wall. You could put the pad down in the area you want to work and trim the edges with mouding. This can be accomplished with laminate, carpet or vinyl. OR even canvas tarps used for painting. Or you could put wall to wall vinyl with a moisture protecting pad under it. It is really cheap. $20 for 6x8 piece new!
wilderstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions! Can I put down vinyl sheeting without any glue? Will it stay in place? it will be just me in there, so as long as it doesn't slide around while I'm walking on it, I'm thinking it will work.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
wilderstyle

Yep, I used in in my laundry room in a rental like that. The laundry room was a garage. If you put stuff on it, it won't move. It will be just like a huge throw rug. Clean under it regularly and don't let water get under it. It will work great.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #6

ok, thanks wilderstyle. What kind of moisture protecting pad should I use? would a sheet of heavy plastic work?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
wilderstyle

I didn't put anythig under my vinyl. But it was a laundry room. Vinyl is waterproof on it's own. It is what might go over the edge or get under that edge that will hurt the wood. I would put it way beyond my messy area and be careful with water near the edge. Swiffer maybe, then drag outside for the hose down type cleaning. It is a "work room" right? What projects will you do in your studio?
Old 12-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #8

OK, I think I'll do it wall-to-wall then. I use different materials in my work: paint, clay, sometimes a little plaster or cement. It's all pretty messy but I work with small quantities so I can keep water/mess to a minimum. I make mostly sculpture.

I also thought I would cover the walls. They're plaster with moulding at the bottom and top edge. I wanted to be able to pin or screw things into the wall and thought putting up sheetrock would be a good idea. One guy gave me an estimate of $2000!! (I know this is a DIY forum, but I can't do that by myself.) He actually suggested I leave the walls as they are, that they would be better than sheetrock. (I guess he didn't want the job...) My concern is that I would be making a lot of small screw holes in the plaster, and also it's hard to get pushpins into plaster. I guess I could easily patch holes with more plaster but I didn't know if that would be "bad". It's an old building and I wanted to protect the original plaster walls. Although there are probably multiple coats of paint over the original walls -- at least 30 if the door trim I stripped is any indication. Any thoughts?

I guess I should post a new thread on this.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:45 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Canoo:

You can loose lay linoleum or sheet vinyl in your room. You shouldn't have any trouble buying a 16 foot by 12 foot piece of old linoleum or sheet vinyl in any carpet "Discount Barn".

You can do a better job if you make a pattern of the floor with wallpaper and then trace the wallpaper pattern onto the linoleum so that it fits the floor exactly.

Also, instead of gluing it down, you can buy 2 inch wide double sided carpet tape at any home center for sticking carpet down to smooth floors. The carpet tape is strong, but it pulls up cleanly without leaving a glue residue on the floor. Just stick the tape down around the perimeter of the room, set your linoleum in place, pull the perimeter of the linoleum away from the wall a bit and pull off the backing paper from the tape. Then, just press the linoleum down onto the tape. You'll need to keep a good 6 to 8 inches away from the corners with the tape so you can pull it back to remove the backing paper from the tape. (Take some time to plan this out, as the strategy will be different depending on the shape of the room.)

Do you NEED to use push pins? Why wouldn't adhesive hooks on the walls work? If you use the kind that you wet and stick to the wall, you can remove them easily by getting them wet again to re-soften the glue. After you pull the hook off, you can remove any residual glue on the wall with a wet cloth.

Also, you can remove the 3M "Command" adhesive hooks by simply sliding a putty knife between the adhesive and the wall. If you have a hair dryer, heating the hook will soften the adhesive holding it to the wall, making it easier to slide the putty knife under it. Any adhesive remaining on the wall can be removed with oil based paint thinner. That paint thinner will evaporate completely without leaving a residue.

Advertisement

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 12-03-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plywood floor , temporary flooring