Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #1

Share |

what to use to level bumpy cement before epoxy....

the difficulty is the epoxy is going up too soon to allow a quick overlay with any cement based products, no time to wait for the cure .

I've been using this lanco brand mastic product, it's basically like a whipped version of mastic, not really going on nearly as smooth as I want it to (tried many different sized blades, the mastic itself is just fluffy and not finishing as nearly as smooth as desired).

Any recommendations? Just overlaying it would be perfect, but I messed up and didn't think of that sooner, and this is basically the last thing to be done now (and stuff needs to get back on the slabs that will be getting this epoxy, so I cannot push it off and the 30 day requirement for curing is much too long!).

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
Tileguy

WHAT the heck are you talking about?

What bumpy cement?

Why is the cement bumpy?

What epoxy, what mastic, what the hell are you doing?

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #3

-talking about preparation for an epoxy flooring application
- I'm smoothing bumpy, rough, weathered concrete patches on certain concrete slabs before applying primer for a smoother finish
- Cement gets bumpy over time from wear, until the aggregates are showing through. Before refinishing I wanted to make the slabs' appearances better, and the only real need is a smoother concrete slab substrate on which to apply an epoxy coating.
- behr epoxy, lanco concrete and mortar patch mastic, and prep for an epoxy flooring
Old 02-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #4

I'm using the lanco "concrete and mortar patch" stuff, which is a mastic product, with ~2-4" blades. I'm using this on concrete slabs, both in and outdoors, in a manner similar to spackle or joint compound on a messed up wall, before said wall is painted. I'm just trying to smooth out bad, chipped, weathered concrete slabs in preparation for an epoxy finish.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:59 PM   #5

Nobody?

Meh, forget all the stuff above, let me rephrase as succinctly as possible.

What product(s), that are *not* cement based, would be good for preparing a slab (a concrete slab, indoors or outdoors) for an epoxy coating? What will allow me the versatility of spackle on a wall?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #6

(by the way, working with the original product just got more annoying. The finished product, once dried <<the mastic!>> is very rough, doesn't really allow you to mop it in prep for the epoxy, spent like half an hour picking up cotton shreds from my mop!! Also the bumpy texture of the mastic compound stood out bad after a single coat of epoxy, will need to double coat that particular slab. Pics will definitely be available when done, as always )
Old 02-12-2008, 12:53 PM   #7

Nothing? Nobody smoothes a floor while prepping for epoxy with anything besides an overlay?
Old 02-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
Tileguy

Joyboy I don't think anyone understands what the heck you are trying to do, I know I don't. In my experience you NEVER use products that are *NOT* cement based to patch cement.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:14 PM   #9

Really?! Wow I don't know how to make it any clearer than I already did...

Picture a wall that you're about to prime and paint, but this wall has some holes in it, and some scratches. So you use spackle to smooth those out, then prime/paint, so that when you're done the wall is smooth and no longer has said scratches/voids/holes/etc.

I need that product, which would be spackle or joint compound IF it were for drywall, I need that kind of product for use on a slab of concrete, like a driveway, or a patio. Mastics, epoxies, there's many different products to use for such a job. I'm trying to find one that has a *smooth* texture. The one I'm currently using has a *rough* texture, and therefore, upon getting painted, the patches are showing through, as they're rougher than the rest of the surface.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
Tileguy

Take a look at "Skim Coat and Patch" or "Speed Finish" both from Custom Building Products and available from Home Depot.

Anything you use will show through a simple resin coating.

How about an SLC over the entire area?

Don't know about the compatibility with whatever you are covering it with.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:57 PM   #11

What's an SLC?

I will absolutely check those other two products out next time I go there (which is several times a week haha ).

I know most will show, but the areas that I'm patching will show anyways, so I'm just trying to make them show less. What happened though was that instead of a ~0.5" deep gouge showing, a 6" diameter patch shows!

(*I think I may've found a solution, although it's tedious! I was playing around with the mastic I have on hand, the stuff that dries all rough and porous. I've been coating it with lanco bonding primer, the stuff I used on concrete blocks before applying my stucco to them, and it's been really helping. I'm just really unsure if it's a good idea to use it at the thickness I've been experimenting when the resulting product will be subject to foot traffic... Ah! Can't wait til these are done!!)
Old 02-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #12
Tileguy

WHAT is this "mastic" you keep referring to?

Do you need any teeth pulled? We could do that next!!!! Does this "mastic" have a name? Is this taking place in your own home?

SLC is "Self Levelling Compound" and frankly is your best bet if you haven't already got too much crap on that surface so that nothing will stick. SLC would plane the entire surface and you wouldn't be patching anything. The resin application would then look clean and smooth.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:11 AM   #13

Mastic is, hmmm, I don't know exactly what mastic is!!! Mastic is kind of like a really, really strong adhesive goop, that comes in varying textures/densities. I'm *definitely* not gonna get it to work, as all my test batches of doing the mastic patch, then trying to smooth it out with thick primers, aren't cutting it.

I'll check out that SLC product type, that sounds really promising!!!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:22 AM   #14
Tileguy

Does this "mastic product" have a name?

OH Wait!!! One more question.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #15

hahahah!!! This thread is like the epitome of miscommunication!! I've stated a couple times already the specific name, but it's called:

"lanco concrete and mortar patch", it's a mastic based product, here are some pics of what I'm dealing with very specifically (I must've really been barking up the wrong tree with this stuff given how little recognition there is of the product!!). First picture is of the product container, second is of the product inside its container (it's a finished container but you'll see the texture), and last picture is the slab that I did, which had the patching, and you'll see how my patches stood out like crazy

((****I think I may be onto something that's got potential, I'm researching the correlation between set time and cure time for cement, and the effects of accelerators on this. I'm figuring that maybe, just maybe, some of the really fast setting concrete/mortar products out there could cure much faster, negating the 30 day 'hold time' that is recommended for normal concrete!))
Attached Thumbnails
what to use to level bumpy cement before epoxy....-dscn2575.jpg   what to use to level bumpy cement before epoxy....-dscn2579.jpg   what to use to level bumpy cement before epoxy....-dscn2583.jpg