DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What is the typical hardwood type?

751 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  woodman58 
#1 · (Edited)
For unfinished hardwoods, I believe most people use the 2-1/4", 3/4" solid oak but, is it usually white oak or red? Is it typical to use #1, #2, or #3 Common? Also, what is the typical stain & poly formula for a Gunstock color?

And lastly, I've read here that it is typical to butt the top stair nose piece to the groove side of the first row and use a spline. Why is this? What is the problem with installing the first row with the tongue side into the groove of the nose piece?

Mucho grassyass for the info!

#2 ·
If you are going to stain red or white, you can use ether one or both. They will stain where you can't tell the difference. 2 1/4" is typically used in new construction because of the cheaper price. Is remodeling a home in my area (St, Louis) people are using a wider flooring. Typically 3" to 5". The wider woods look better.
As for the stair nose, it cannot always be possible to use a tongue or a grove at this point. The only way you could guarantee to use a T Or G is to start at the step. This is not a good idea. You should start at the longest visible wall. When you get to the step, the stair nose might be on the side. If it is straight with the installed wood, you can use a tongue or a spline to make a tongue to go into the stair nose. If it is not straight you can cut the wood at an angle to match. If you want it perfect, you can purchase a router bit to make your own grove to put a spline in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.