Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2013, 02:55 AM   #1

Share |

- What size Backer board needed to make smooth transitions -

I am looking to do transitions without the need of a strip in a gut job right now the heighth of the 2 bathrooms is as follows.

I need to know what I need to put on each side of the transition to make the smoothest possible transition.

Bathroom #1

EVEN Hallway ---- Bathroom. (Current)

Hallway has existing hardwood floor (very bad condition) which will have 3/4" 5 inch Natural Hickory added to it and the bathroom is even with this right now with 3/4" Advantech Subflooring installed.

What will make the best transition for me? 1/2" or 1/4" backer board and then tile.

Bathroom #2 Level Right now. - Master Bedroom ---- Master Bath

Master Bath will get carpet and pad. Same question.

Thanks for any help or ideas for the smoothest transitions without the need for a transition strip. First time doing this type of project myself.

nohoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #2

I personaly would not be laying new hardwood over any old flooring in poor shape. Flooring that wide should be glued down and trying to keep it stuck to the floor if it has low spots, cupping water damage is not going to work out.
It's pretty common to have a small transition from a tiled floor to the other types of flooring.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohoch View Post
I am looking to do transitions without the need of a strip in a gut job right now the heighth of the 2 bathrooms is as follows.

I need to know what I need to put on each side of the transition to make the smoothest possible transition.

Bathroom #1

EVEN Hallway ---- Bathroom. (Current)

Hallway has existing hardwood floor (very bad condition) which will have 3/4" 5 inch Natural Hickory added to it and the bathroom is even with this right now with 3/4" Advantech Subflooring installed.

What will make the best transition for me? 1/2" or 1/4" backer board and then tile.

Bathroom #2 Level Right now. - Master Bedroom ---- Master Bath

Master Bath will get carpet and pad. Same question.

Thanks for any help or ideas for the smoothest transitions without the need for a transition strip. First time doing this type of project myself.

First off, your description is hard to follow.

Second...you're really going to put carpet in your master bathroom?
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #4

Sorry for the bad description I meant Master Bedroom would get the carpet, and wanted to know how to keep that transition as smooth as possible.

@joecaption the hardwood thats there is in poor condition not unlevel and warping and such just unsalvagable with some stains and rooms got changed around so the flow wouldnt work either.
nohoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohoch View Post

@joecaption the hardwood thats there is in poor condition not unlevel and warping and such just unsalvagable with some stains and rooms got changed around so the flow wouldnt work either.
Right, which is why the old hardwood should be removed first.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote