Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What kind of uderlayment for bathroom

Hi, I just joined the forums, hoping someone can help me out.
I ripped up the vinyl flooring in our bathroom, and there was a few spots where the wood had some moisture in it. I believe it's called "underlayment", the wood that's stapled to the actual rough wood floor (subfloor?).I ripped up all the wood, it was pressed wood, took a while as it came out in chunks due to the staples every 4". The subfloor hasn't sustained any water damage, only a few colored spots that are drying with a fan. My question is, what kind of wood should I use for the new underlayment? And should I lay a vapor barrier in between the subfloor and underlayment? There wasn't any before, but I don't know if this is common practice. I will be putting new vinyl flooring in, for what it's worth. Thanks for any help, and I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

ozweepay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
Stainless Cable & Railing

Rewards Points: 10
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozweepay View Post
I ripped up the vinyl flooring in our bathroom, and there was a few spots where the wood had some moisture in it. I believe it's called "underlayment", the wood that's stapled to the actual rough wood floor (subfloor?).I ripped up all the wood, it was pressed wood, took a while as it came out in chunks due to the staples every 4". The subfloor hasn't sustained any water damage, only a few colored spots that are drying with a fan. My question is, what kind of wood should I use for the new underlayment? And should I lay a vapor barrier in between the subfloor and underlayment? There wasn't any before, but I don't know if this is common practice. I will be putting new vinyl flooring in, for what it's worth. Thanks for any help, and I apologize for my lack of knowledge.
Pressed wood prolly means ply wood. I would go with the same stuff maybe even pressure treated plywood. It'll cost more but last a hell of lot longer.. Not to sure about the vapor barrier, but since its a bathroom I would put it in.

cablerailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

Check out Georgia Pacific's Dens Shield & DensGuard. I have used the Dens Shield when I tiled our bath floor, and would not hesitate to use it again. Easy to work with, and no extra tools needed to cut it with, since it cuts like Gypsum board.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,222

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Check out Georgia Pacific's Dens Shield & DensGuard. I have used the Dens Shield when I tiled our bath floor, and would not hesitate to use it again. Easy to work with, and no extra tools needed to cut it with, since it cuts like Gypsum board.
The poster said vinyl not tile.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablerailing View Post
Pressed wood prolly means ply wood. I would go with the same stuff maybe even pressure treated plywood. It'll cost more but last a hell of lot longer.. Not to sure about the vapor barrier, but since its a bathroom I would put it in.
You never use pressure treated wood indoors, the chemicals can cause problems. Use underlayment grade plywood. Stapled just like what you removed. No vapor barrier.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
The poster said vinyl not tile.
Either one will still work with vinyl. They just need to seal the seams and along the edge where it meets the wall, so that if water does get on the floor, it does not seep through, or get into the material. A whole lot better than using Luann plywood, which is not waterproof.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,074

Oz,

I don't know what kind of "pressed wood" underlayment you had, but I doubt it was plywood. Probably OSB or particle board. You should determine what kind of underlayment is recommended by the maker of the new flooring you're gonna install and what's available to you.

And YIKES, you never use pressure treated plywood indoors and especially as an underlayment.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Either one will still work with vinyl. They just need to seal the seams and along the edge where it meets the wall, so that if water does get on the floor, it does not seep through, or get into the material. A whole lot better than using Luann plywood, which is not waterproof.
I have been laying vinyl for 40 years and would certainly not use it. Underlayment grade plywood is what all vinyl makers want.

Last edited by rusty baker; 04-19-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozweepay

You can put 1/4" BC ply down as underlayment in this case. Is this sheet vinyl or tile vinyl?
JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #10
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSwet View Post
Is this sheet vinyl or tile vinyl?
Wouldn't matter on the underlayment. Both use the same.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker
Wouldn't matter on the underlayment. Both use the same.
Yeah but if it's sheet then use nails instead of screws?
JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSwet View Post
Yeah but if it's sheet then use nails instead of screws?
You should never use screws anyway. It can cause underlayment to pucker. It should be nailed or stapled and stapled is better.

The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
JetSwet (04-20-2012)