Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Default

What kind of uderlayment for bathroom


Hi, I just joined the forums, hoping someone can help me out.
I ripped up the vinyl flooring in our bathroom, and there was a few spots where the wood had some moisture in it. I believe it's called "underlayment", the wood that's stapled to the actual rough wood floor (subfloor?).I ripped up all the wood, it was pressed wood, took a while as it came out in chunks due to the staples every 4". The subfloor hasn't sustained any water damage, only a few colored spots that are drying with a fan. My question is, what kind of wood should I use for the new underlayment? And should I lay a vapor barrier in between the subfloor and underlayment? There wasn't any before, but I don't know if this is common practice. I will be putting new vinyl flooring in, for what it's worth. Thanks for any help, and I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

ozweepay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
Stainless Cable & Railing
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver Washington
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10
Cool

What kind of uderlayment for bathroom


Quote:
Originally Posted by ozweepay View Post
Hi, I just joined the forums, hoping someone can help me out.
I ripped up the vinyl flooring in our bathroom, and there was a few spots where the wood had some moisture in it. I believe it's called "underlayment", the wood that's stapled to the actual rough wood floor (subfloor?).I ripped up all the wood, it was pressed wood, took a while as it came out in chunks due to the staples every 4". The subfloor hasn't sustained any water damage, only a few colored spots that are drying with a fan. My question is, what kind of wood should I use for the new underlayment? And should I lay a vapor barrier in between the subfloor and underlayment? There wasn't any before, but I don't know if this is common practice. I will be putting new vinyl flooring in, for what it's worth. Thanks for any help, and I apologize for my lack of knowledge.
Pressed wood prolly means ply wood. I would go with the same stuff maybe even pressure treated plywood. It'll cost more but last a hell of lot longer.. Not to sure about the vapor barrier, but since its a bathroom I would put it in.

cablerailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,339
Rewards Points: 2,340
Default

What kind of uderlayment for bathroom


Check out Georgia Pacific's Dens Shield & DensGuard. I have used the Dens Shield when I tiled our bath floor, and would not hesitate to use it again. Easy to work with, and no extra tools needed to cut it with, since it cuts like Gypsum board.
__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer
 
rusty baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 3,976
Rewards Points: 2,222
Default

What kind of uderlayment for bathroom


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Check out Georgia Pacific's Dens Shield & DensGuard. I have used the Dens Shield when I tiled our bath floor, and would not hesitate to use it again. Easy to work with, and no extra tools needed to cut it with, since it cuts like Gypsum board.
The poster said vinyl not tile.
__________________
The ads in my post are there without my permission. I do not endorse any of the products.
Semi-Retired Installer
Installing since 1973
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer
 
rusty baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 3,976
Rewards Points: 2,222
Default

What kind of uderlayment for bathroom


Quote:
Originally Posted by cablerailing View Post
Pressed wood prolly means ply wood. I would go with the same stuff maybe even pressure treated plywood. It'll cost more but last a hell of lot longer.. Not to sure about the vapor barrier, but since its a bathroom I would put it in.
You never use pressure treated wood indoors, the chemicals can cause problems. Use underlayment grade plywood. Stapled just like what you removed. No vapor barrier.
__________________
The ads in my post are there without my permission. I do not endorse any of the products.
Semi-Retired Installer
Installing since 1973
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,339
Rewards Points: 2,340
Default

What kind of uderlayment for bathroom


Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
The poster said vinyl not tile.
Either one will still work with vinyl. They just need to seal the seams and along the edge where it meets the wall, so that if water does get on the floor, it does not seep through, or get into the material. A whole lot better than using Luann plywood, which is not waterproof.
__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
Tileguy
 
JazMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Troy, Michigan
Posts: 4,108
Rewards Points: 2,074
Default

What kind of uderlayment for bathroom


Oz,

I don't know what kind of "pressed wood" underlayment you had, but I doubt it was plywood. Probably OSB or particle board. You should determine what kind of underlayment is recommended by the maker of the new flooring you're gonna install and what's available to you.

And YIKES, you never use pressure treated plywood indoors and especially as an underlayment.

Jaz
__________________
Tile 4 You LLC Troy, MI

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer
 
rusty baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 3,976
Rewards Points: 2,222
Default

What kind of uderlayment for bathroom


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Either one will still work with vinyl. They just need to seal the seams and along the edge where it meets the wall, so that if water does get on the floor, it does not seep through, or get into the material. A whole lot better than using Luann plywood, which is not waterproof.
I have been laying vinyl for 40 years and would certainly not use it. Underlayment grade plywood is what all vinyl makers want.
__________________
The ads in my post are there without my permission. I do not endorse any of the products.
Semi-Retired Installer
Installing since 1973

Last edited by rusty baker; 04-19-2012 at 09:50 PM.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
Member
 
JetSwet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lagrangeville NY
Posts: 964
Rewards Points: 502
Default

What kind of uderlayment for bathroom


Quote:
Originally Posted by ozweepay
Hi, I just joined the forums, hoping someone can help me out.
I ripped up the vinyl flooring in our bathroom, and there was a few spots where the wood had some moisture in it. I believe it's called "underlayment", the wood that's stapled to the actual rough wood floor (subfloor?).I ripped up all the wood, it was pressed wood, took a while as it came out in chunks due to the staples every 4". The subfloor hasn't sustained any water damage, only a few colored spots that are drying with a fan. My question is, what kind of wood should I use for the new underlayment? And should I lay a vapor barrier in between the subfloor and underlayment? There wasn't any before, but I don't know if this is common practice. I will be putting new vinyl flooring in, for what it's worth. Thanks for any help, and I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

You can put 1/4" BC ply down as underlayment in this case. Is this sheet vinyl or tile vinyl?
JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #10
Pro Flooring Installer
 
rusty baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 3,976
Rewards Points: 2,222
Default

What kind of uderlayment for bathroom


Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSwet View Post
Is this sheet vinyl or tile vinyl?
Wouldn't matter on the underlayment. Both use the same.
__________________
The ads in my post are there without my permission. I do not endorse any of the products.
Semi-Retired Installer
Installing since 1973
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
Member
 
JetSwet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lagrangeville NY
Posts: 964
Rewards Points: 502
Default

What kind of uderlayment for bathroom


Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker
Wouldn't matter on the underlayment. Both use the same.
Yeah but if it's sheet then use nails instead of screws?
JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
Pro Flooring Installer
 
rusty baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 3,976
Rewards Points: 2,222
Default

What kind of uderlayment for bathroom


Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSwet View Post
Yeah but if it's sheet then use nails instead of screws?
You should never use screws anyway. It can cause underlayment to pucker. It should be nailed or stapled and stapled is better.

__________________
The ads in my post are there without my permission. I do not endorse any of the products.
Semi-Retired Installer
Installing since 1973
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
JetSwet (04-20-2012)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What kind of cable is this? Sith717 Electrical 3 03-10-2012 02:56 PM
What kind of valve is this? mwong Plumbing 10 12-07-2011 12:33 AM
what kind of wye do I need? graysqwrl Plumbing 6 06-22-2011 05:23 PM
Painting Baseboards(does it matter what kind?) SabineTLK Interior Decorating 12 02-06-2011 08:34 AM
painting over drywall -- what kind of prep? CindyF Painting 6 01-12-2006 01:54 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.