Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #1

Share |

What is this hole in the basement floor??

Hi, I removed the old carpet and underpad in the basement to discover this hole (see picture). It appears to be a cut PVC pipe with putty inside it. It prevents a level floor in the basement for laminate flooring to be installed. Anybody know what this is and whether it can simply be grinded down? There is already a water drain in the furnace room only 15 feet away. This hole is located at the front of the house. Thanks for reading - any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
What is this hole in the basement floor??-img_0045.jpg  

kamkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #2

See if the center of it is about 12" from the outside wall.
If it is it could have been where there was a toilet.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #3

The centre of the hole is ~7"" from the wall. I've included pictures with a quarter next to the hole and 1 foot tape measure for scale. Carpet/underpad was covering this hole for the last 7 years. The previous owner (house is less than 12 years old) did not have toilet in this location. Water drain is about 15' away in furnace room. Hole is located at front of house in basement. Trying to determine whether its safe to remove putty and grind down pipe for laminate install (less than 5mm is probably all that is required for grinding). Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
What is this hole in the basement floor??-img_0047.jpg   What is this hole in the basement floor??-img_0048.jpg  
kamkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #4

Just a question. What are you laying laminate down with your trim already in place? The trim is designed to hide the flooring edges. I believe you need to remove the trim before laying the floor then replace the trim ABOVE the flooring edges...unless your flooring is going to fit up the trim.
rebelranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #5

It's probably a floor drain. They may have put the putty in there to prevent it from backing up and having water coming out of that pipe and getting on the carpet. I know you said that there is already a drain in the furnace room but that doesn't mean that there couldn't be another one. My basement (also finished) has a few of them. One in the furnace room and at least one other in another part of the basement. I would remove the putty and see what you have inside. Try snaking that pipe and you may be able to tell where it goes and it could connect to the other drain you have in the furnace room.
If it is in fact a drain then it is probably a good idea to cap it off in case it backs up. You can buy a few different stoppers that will fit a 4" drain.

An aside for the question on the baseboards being down before the floor... I'm sure the base board was already there. You can put quarter round between the floor and the base board after the floor is installed. You could also use base shoe, which looks a little bit better IMO.
NHtransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, grinding, laminate, putty, pvc