Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #1

Share |
Question

What on earth would you do with this floor?

I'm looking at houses in my town, and this one was originally listed as having carpets and vinyl floors (all the photos showed carpets, which I hate). But the owners pulled the carpets up to reveal...some kind of wood painted black. And they decided to raise the price of the house by $1000, inconceivably. Can anyone tell what kind of wood this is? The realtor thinks some pieces look like redwood (which would make sense as I'm in Humboldt county, surrounded by redwoods). But it seems like it's all mixed and matched, odd sizes here and there, and maybe several different kinds of wood all in the same room. My question: can this be considered a hardwood floor, or is this just the subfloor? How can I tell? (I don't even mind the mixing/matching and odd shapes, I just really wanted hardwood floors, since my partner has allergies which put carpet out of the question).

What would you do with this floor, on a VERY limited budget, with carpet being out of the question? Can I just sand it down and seal it and get ugly but functional wood floors, or do I need to put hardwood on top of this?

In this last one, you can see they put a small section of (engineered wood?) at the foot of the front door, which used to be level with the carpet.

........Keep in mind, my name is TOTALN00B!

TOTALN00B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
BIGRED

Talk to a flooring contractor. It would appear that someone put down old barn wood for a finish floor and painted it gray/blue, then got sick of it and put carpet over it. That blue floor is your finished floor and it does have a subfloor under it. Since you and your other have issues with wood floors talk to the contractor about some 5/8 or 3/4 in., 18 x 18 tile, marble or granite squares.

Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grampa Bud For This Useful Post:
TOTALN00B (04-08-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

WOW. $1000 premium. What a jerk. Make sure you get a good inspection and make the owner pay for EVERYTHING that needs to be corrected.

BTW: I'd paint it a color you like where there's paint. I've seen lots of really pretty painted wood floors.
TOTALN00B (04-08-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #4

I have sanded many old floors over the years. When it is painted it is usually very porous and will absorb the paint into the cracks. If you try to sand the paint off you will most likely sand the floor to thin. A painted floor is not worth extra $.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodman58 For This Useful Post:
TOTALN00B (04-08-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #5

Grampa Bud: We don't have issues with wood floors, just carpets. We would like wood floors.

Leah & Woodman: Yeah, I guess re-painting in a different color would probably be easiest. Not my favorite look, but at least it's not carpets!
Old 03-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Actually studies have shown that carpets allow less airborne contaminants than any other flooring. But that's another subject.

"According to a study by St, John's University.
Breathe Easier

Living with asthma or allergies? Carpet is an allergen catcher: studies show that carpeted rooms have lower levels of dust-borne allergens than rooms with hard surface floors. Unlike hard surfaces, which collect dust bunnies, carpet fibers can trap allergens and hold them until you remove them with a strong vacuum.
Remove the majority of allergens from carpet—and significantly reduce mite populations—by regular vacuuming (using a high-efficiency filter) and by periodic cleaning with the hot-water extraction or steam-cleaning method.

Last edited by rusty baker; 03-05-2011 at 01:43 PM.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
Tileguy

Paint it and even maybe stencil a design on it. Some of those type floors can look pretty good.
TOTALN00B (04-08-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman58 View Post
I have sanded many old floors over the years. When it is painted it is usually very porous and will absorb the paint into the cracks. If you try to sand the paint off you will most likely sand the floor to thin.
How hard do you think it would be to achieve this sort of effect (see photos below), rather than a flat color (I'd like to at least leave some of the grain showing)? Like if I sanded off some of the black paint, leaving whatever's stuck deep in the grain, and then stained it?

How do you suppose they did these floors? Never thought I would, but I kind of like the effect...

What colors do ya'all think would look good on the walls with these floors? (other than white).
Old 03-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #9

If you do sand the floors after purchase, I would stain with a dark walnut or even an ebony. Whatever color you choose make it dark. Unless you know or can research about different paints, I would not paint. Check the painting section for suggestions. If you look at the first pic you can see the paint is wearing off. As far as color on walls, wood is a natural product and to me any color goes good with it. It just depends on what you like.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodman58 For This Useful Post:
TOTALN00B (03-05-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #10

a little rustic barnish for me. i would concider taking it up or laying new floor over it. i don't think you can do anything with it except paint it and that seems wierd for a house. just my 2 cents
bluebird5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluebird5 For This Useful Post:
TOTALN00B (03-05-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
DIY staff

That wood is very likely fir---that was a common flooring in that area---That is a pine.

Sanding will give you a nice look---however,as someone else mentioned--the paint will remain in cracks and splits---still a nice look in an antique house.

It is not a hardwood---and will dent if furniture is carelessly dragged across it.
TOTALN00B (03-05-2011)
Old 03-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #12

I had painted floors under the carpet in my dining room - we wound up sanding them down with a random orbital sander, vacuuming and wet-mopping up the dust, priming them with an oil-base primer and then using an outdoor deck paint to cover the floor (all products that you can easily find at your local big-box home store). We used a white primer and a deep red paint - only used one coat of paint and it resulted in a distressed-looking finish that worked with our style. This held up for 9 years of parties, cleanings, and dragging tables and chairs across it. It doesn't really show off the grain, so if this is your priority then this technique won't work for you, but it is an option that can hold up well to activity and is relatively easy for even a total noob to do themselves! Hope you wind up with a solution that you're happy with.
Scoutsout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutsout For This Useful Post:
TOTALN00B (04-08-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 07:58 AM   #13

In my humble opinion as a fellow DIYer, I'd sand them down, get rid of the paint, and then fill in the cracks with a sandable wood filler, then stain it dark. Many flooring contractors use this filler with new hardwood floors, it makes it look seemless... just a thought.
brcocar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brcocar For This Useful Post:
TOTALN00B (04-08-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #14

If you use filler and the cracks are large more than likely the filler will come out with expantion and contraction of the wood. Some people like the rustic look of well aged wood. If you do not then if you have access to a table saw. Figure out what type of wood you have and purchase a few 3/4" x
18" peices. Set the blade of the table saw to 7 degrees. Set the fence so that you only cut a sliver the thickness of the 3/4" hight of the wood. Flip the wood over and set the blade to 0 derees. Keep flipping and changing the degree until you have more peices than you need.
To install these slivers cut them to length, add glue to both sides, and put the peice in the crack. Tap it lightly with a hammer. Use a utility knife and score the sliver lightly on both sides. It will then break off easily. When the glue sets up you can sanand stain to your liking. When finish the cracks will never be seen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodman58 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-08-2011), TOTALN00B (04-08-2011)