What Does Gypcrete Look Like? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2008, 05:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What Does Gypcrete Look Like?

Aside: With apologies to Bud and Angus who were more than patient with my earlier question about this loathed flooring material--->I'm back (just like a bad penny).

I have removed both carpet and lino from my floor. Beneath, is a very thin (1-2mm?), very smooth surface that is a dark grey colour....Gypcrete? My dad (circa 1929) thought it look like drywall.

Beneath that, is a lighter coloured more granular surface (10.75mm?) that scrubs away with relative ease with a wire brush and water--->I was scrubbing away spots that had been affected with copious amounts of dog urine. Beneath that, I'm thinking it's hell--->or USB*S*

I had an extremely difficult time removing the lino and as a last resort, saturated it with water for 18 hours---->the lino kept drying up but when I went to scrape it off (the lino), found that a substantial part of the grey surface came off ---->exposing a lighter coloured,more granular surface. Through trial and error, I'm learning that the grey surface does not like water.

Is all of it gypcrete? Is any of it gypcrete? I'm in a 10 (or so) year old condo in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Opinions, thoughts and suggestions more than welcome.

Thanks

Advertisement

Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

What Does Gypcrete Look Like?

Typically Gypcrete is installed at 3/4" (19mm). It is light grey in color but that could change slightly over time or when it is penetrated by adhesives, spills or weather.

As I think we said before, Gypcrete contains gypsum (hence the name Gypcrete) maybe this would account for the drywall appearance - don't know.

What not to say the Gypcrete (if it is Gypcrete) wasn't installed over something else for some reason?

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote