What Do You Do When A "Pro" Installer Does This? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What do you do when a "Pro" installer does this?

I posted back in the spring about my terrible flooring installation. It's a long story, but let's just say I've done my own DIY flooring and I wanted my livingroom/hall to be professionally done so that it was NICE. I went to a small store that I got from the Teregren website. Turned out they didn't really carry Teregren but they ordered it for me - were VERY friendly and helpful. However, their installers were VERY, VERY sloppy! I complained about some of it, then wimped out and just paid full price for the flooring (over $5 grand) ... all summer the floor has creaked and moved underfoot. I wanted to wait through a whole season change before putting in the baseboard - still am unsure I want to commit to this floor, because the movement drives me INSANE.

So today I decide to just set the vent cover in front of the vent and while I knew the gap looked huge there from the get-go, I didn't realize it was THIS BAD. My baseboard will NOT cover it along this wall (will fall down into the gap) and the vent cover ... well, this is just lovely!

What should I do? Do I have any rights with regard to small claims court or anything? I know I shouldn't have paid them ... just being Mrs. Nice Guy, I guess, hoping the floor would 'settle' and stop moving so much! But this ... what am I supposed to do, put quarter-round in FRONT of my vent!?

Advertisement

javafinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

That isn't the correct vent diffuser for that vent apparently but I see what you are talking about. You could cover the gap at the wall by using baseboard along with a 1/4 round or shoe mold trim. That would cover the gap at the wall.

The vent is a different story. There are (larger-sized) wood vent diffusers that may be able to be cut down to fit your opening. It could be made to look okay.

I doubt you have any real re-course after waiting this long.

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #3

This house that I bought over a year ago has the same problem from where the previous owners laid wood flooring. They cut too far away from the vent, causing it to look trashy like that.

All I did was put up my base boards and then bought a vent longer than my vent. Filed down the ends of the base boards sticking towards the vent until the vent covered up the gap, and still sat back making it look nice.
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #4

Those are the kind of vent diffusers that are all through our house and what was in this room before. When we had another room's flooring installed recently I remember the guy showing me (for some reason, I can't remember) that the floor should come 2.5" out from the wall along the vent - is that the standard?

I know I waited a long time - it's because at the time the work was done and the complaints I had at that point that were either fixed or I just decided to not deal with, I paid them, and I haven't wanted to be the '^!@#y customer who complains constantly - but this flooring install is to such LOW standards it's ridiculous.

Sorry if I sound hysterical. I'm really not ... just trying to figure out what I say when I email the company. There is a 2-year 'warranty' on the install.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #5

Here are 2 additional pics -- first one is the hole without the register showing how much closer they should have cut the floor to the hole and the second is of another room with a recent flooring install where the installer actually measured to have the flooring come 2.5" from the wall.

Thanks again!
Old 11-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,090

Geez. There are some professionals that should be out of business. Period! Do they not own tape measures?

The bottom line is that the job they did in your living room sucks. It is unacceptable. The problem is that you DID accept it, and you paid for it. Therefore, you basically have no recourse. You can wage a PR War of sorts - which I certainly would do - but that's about it.

Regarding what you should do now: You're on your own. You're going to need to install shoe mold trim. You're probably also going to need to get different vents/registers.
DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #7

Do you think this is something that should be covered by their "warranty"? There was a 2-year warranty on the installation.

I did send the pics and an email to the company. I'm sure they'll remember me because I complained about the installers' sloppiness right when it was installed. They had to come out and scrub the floor for 3 hours to get all the GLUE they tracked all over (this was a locking floor - the glue was from all the areas they had to hack together and glue). I complained about all the little divots they made on the edges of the board due to not using a tapping block (they pounded the crap out of the boards to get them to go together! I was cringing listening to it!) They offered to come out and "buff" my new floor and I just said nevermind. Then they were on me like flies on you-know-what to get their money. I just paid them. Then all summer I've just been grumbling about the way the floor creaks and moves. The salesman who gave me the estimate actually told me how they check for flatness and have all these 'tricks' to fix the floor when they install - because I was complaining about my kitchen, a DIY job, moved a bit underfoot and how much it bugged me - that I didn't want my livingroom like that! Well, the installers didn't check at ALL for flatness. And my kitchen isn't even close to as bad as the livingroom is

After this, even with my terrible subfloor (freaking particle board!!!!), I will NEVER install another floating floor!!!!

Sure wish I could just sell this house and build a house without particle board and all nail-down solid floors!!! There is something REALLY irritating about a floor that moves when you walk on it - like some sort of ancient torture mechanism! ... ugh
Old 11-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #8
A Little Of Everything

I don't know whether or not it will be covered under warranty. I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Floating floors/laminates are good for what they are. They are not the same as an expensive hardwood floor - but neither is their cost. If it's good quality laminate, and is installed correctly, it can be very nice.

Basically, you got screwed by hacks who call themselves professionals. I just finished the flooring in a room in a rental house this afternoon. Shoot, I'm not a professional, but if I can do a job like this, the pros sure as heck ought to be able to do AT LEAST as well!

Old 11-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #9

Thanks - your floor looks great. The floor I got was over $10/square foot, so not exactly cheap, but I hear what you're saying. The ONLY reason we went with floating is due to the particle board, and ripping that up was just something I really wanted to avoid (I did consider it, but also compounding the issue was the asbestos vinyl tile all down the hall - didn't want to mess with it for obvious safety reasons. The cheap Pergo Home Depot installed when we first moved in here was installed PERFECTLY - strangely, this new floor moves and creaks when you walk on it in the hall and never did with the Pergo. This new discovery of the cutout being too large around this heating duct is just one extra chapter in this flooring nightmare.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by javafinch View Post
Thanks - your floor looks great. The floor I got was over $10/square foot, so not exactly cheap, but I hear what you're saying. The ONLY reason we went with floating is due to the particle board, and ripping that up was just something I really wanted to avoid (I did consider it, but also compounding the issue was the asbestos vinyl tile all down the hall - didn't want to mess with it for obvious safety reasons. The cheap Pergo Home Depot installed when we first moved in here was installed PERFECTLY - strangely, this new floor moves and creaks when you walk on it in the hall and never did with the Pergo. This new discovery of the cutout being too large around this heating duct is just one extra chapter in this flooring nightmare.
The reason your high-priced laminate moves and creaks when you walk on it, is because it's not installed properly. Laminate should be cut tight enough that it doesn't shift significantly, and should be "held down" by baseboard trim. Essentially, if it is installed correctly, it does not move.

Again, I'd suggest you go after any recourse you can. Just don't be too optimistic about it. Meanwhile, figure out how you're going to make the best of a bad situation.

Advertisement