Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #1

Share |

What to do? Tile/Grout

So we have 'inherited' a mess of a tile job. The pictures below are around the sink and dishwasher....wet areas. I don't know if they didn't seal it correctly or what? But it was done by an obvious hack who flipped the house as cheaply as possible off a foreclosure. Also the tile has cracked in a few places and you can feel the tile move underfoot where the tile isn't bedded firmly. Should I just hire someone to replace all the tile and grout? I don't think I could do this project myself.

Thanks in advance guys!

Attached Thumbnails
What to do?  Tile/Grout-image-3404415281.jpg   What to do?  Tile/Grout-image-1781522077.jpg   What to do?  Tile/Grout-image-3588958699.jpg   What to do?  Tile/Grout-image-3733572594.jpg  
jimleigh1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #2

What to do? Tile/Grout

More likly it's what's under the tile ithat's wrong and that's what's causing it.

Could be partical board, 1/4 louon, just laid over some other type of flooring under sized floor joist or there in poor condition, no tile board or it was installed with out thin set under it. Anyone of these can cause it to fail.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #3

What to do? Tile/Grout

they probably laid the tile right on the subfloor or right over the vinyl floor figuring it would last long enough to sell the house. it's obvious that they weren't experienced in the proper methods.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #4

What to do? Tile/Grout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimleigh1313 View Post
and you can feel the tile move underfoot
If the tile moves underfoot then time to tear it up. Can you remove one tiles and see what is underneath?
Attached Thumbnails
What to do?  Tile/Grout-100_6584.jpg   What to do?  Tile/Grout-100_6585.jpg  
hammerlane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #5

What to do? Tile/Grout

Potentially. If I did have to replace it all, I would definitely need to save up for the expense. I was hoping for more of a quick fix? Maybe I should just hold off on trying to repair it until I could replace the entire floor?
jimleigh1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #6

What to do? Tile/Grout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimleigh1313 View Post
Potentially. If I did have to replace it all, I would definitely need to save up for the expense. I was hoping for more of a quick fix? Maybe I should just hold off on trying to repair it until I could replace the entire floor?

If you were to regrout that, the grout would start cracking again within a few weeks. s long as there is any movement to the tile, there will be cracks. Need a good foundation to start on.
hammerlane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #7

What to do? Tile/Grout

I just had my new house built last March and am already noticing what jimleigh1313 is talking about! The guy is a builder, he said he's not a tile man but said he would do it for us...wow, thought he at least might look into the correct procedure before laying it. Now experiencing grout cracking and missing in some spots...pretty sure he laid it right over the subfloor (particle board?).
any suggestions or advice on how I should proceed??? Don't feel that I should just let it go....it's a brand new house.

CheriAlli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #8

What to do? Tile/Grout

if you bought it from the bank, then they probably had their contractor do it. My dad used to do that type of work, and the rule on it is, if you can do it, do it, as long as it looks nice for pictures. There is no experience required for making-ready foreclosed homes. If i were you, i would pull up all of the tile, scrape the subfloor and make sure its straight, level, and good, then put the tile back down in the proper method with new grout. Grout isnt that expensive, neither are the tools, and you would only need a couple of new tiles, so it wouldnt cost you a whole lot to redo it as long as you dont have to replace your subfloor. Just take your time and research the proper method and you will do fine.
firsttimeremode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #9

What to do? Tile/Grout

Thanks for the info...No this house was not bought from the bank. We had a builder do it for us...
finding several things done...shall we say "quickly"... in my opinion, too much money to have done half-assed!
Old 09-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #10

What to do? Tile/Grout

in that case i would be demanding money back from the builder to fix his shoddy workmanship
firsttimeremode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #11

What to do? Tile/Grout

wasn't sure if that was normal as it's only cracking/missing in a few places...but i can only imagine what it will look like in a year.
also noticed where he put the grout behind our bathroom sink (no backsplash just mosiac tile meets sink vanity) it's cracking and not going to last (possible water damage there I think). i was going to have my husband clear caulk it but with all the other problems maybe we need to fight this.
really stinks!
Old 09-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #12

What to do? Tile/Grout

I just joined this list so I hope I'm not out of line with this. I've done a fair amount of tile work in my day since I helped my dad quite a lot when I was young, he was a tile setter. You don't want to replace the grout without knowing what's under the tile as most likely it will soon look similar and possibly worse. It sounds to me that it wasn't installed correctly and it sounds to me that you don't have a concrete sub-floor.
Too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #13

What to do? Tile/Grout

i don't know if it was or wasn't installed correctly...that's the problem. it is a brand new house.
i know that it looked like a subfloor (plywood?) was under it and the wood floor that the builder installed.
not really sure what i can do here as he's gone...
and prob not coming back.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #14

What to do? Tile/Grout

If it's a brand new house, you should have a warranty. If it's a plywood sub-floor, mastic was probably used to set the tiles but it sounds to me that it wasn't installed correctly, like maybe the mastic was too skimpily applied that allowed moisture onto the wood sub-floor which caused it to expand and pop out the grout. I suggest you try to locate how to submit a claim under the warranty.
Too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #15

What to do? Tile/Grout

ok i will do that...thanks!