Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #1

Share |

what do i use?

hi everyone, i have a small but important question. i live in an 1930's house, that has all original hard wood, when they redid the house they laid carpet on the stairs over the original wood. when i pulled up the carpet there was underlay, 1/4 inch thick, that would have either been glued or taped to the floor. when i ripped up the underlay there is now a disgusting film that has stayed on the hardwood. i have tried sanding it off as well as using goo gone, nothing has worked so far, does anyone know what a good product would be to get this crap off so that i can get the original look of hte hardwood back?? i was thinking of stripping it off but im not sure what that will do to the wood?? any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
megan
Old 09-13-2008, 05:40 AM   #2
the Musigician

what do i use?

hi meg. every glue/goop has a solvent. you can try napthane, (lighter fluid) or mineral spirits, (paint thinner). even WD40 (or 5-56) might do it! try a small test area to find what works. let us know what does it, ok? if none of the above, there are others. if you sanded the wood, then this says stain from goop to me. bleach might be the answer also.

DM
Old 09-13-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
Tileguy

what do i use?

Megan,

If you do as DM suggests, make your your homeowners insurance is paid up to date, and you are ready to run for it.>>>>>>>>>

Do a search for 'adhesive removers'. I would consider Foam Off, or maybe a citrus stripper.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
Old 09-13-2008, 03:49 PM   #4

what do i use?

Edit>
Old 09-13-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
Tileguy

what do i use?

megalans,

Call your local Fire Marshal or fire department and see what they tell you before you injure yourself following the advice you have been getting here. Those chemicals are volatile and explosive.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
the Musigician

what do i use?

on stairs, they probably used 2 sided carpet tape, the adhesive they use will easily dissolve with WD40 and simply wipe off. unless she sprays the stuff in her face, she should be safe enough with a window open. she may also want to have a plastic butterknife or similar plastic spatula type scraper to scoop the gunk off after using the WD40. the varnish should stop the solvent from soaking in to the wood for the most part, but again, test an area first.

DM
Old 09-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
Tileguy

what do i use?

Surprise.....Surprise, Nester jumped into this one!

The point is that it's not a good idea to suggest to someone you don't even know to use volatile substances. It's even worse to do so via the internet. I know we've all broken the rules and done it, but every situation is different. The size of the areas being treated, what is being used, ventilation, who is doing it and who else is around etc.

Oops..I think I'm getting light-headed now too?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
Old 09-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
the Musigician

what do i use?

my mistake in assuming someone who can type can read "use in well ventilated area" on every can... sorry

DM
Old 09-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #9
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

what do i use?

There are alot of amature chemists on this site, that are very eager to encourage posters to "play" with solvents and chemicals that are dangerous to one's RESPIRATORY health.

Please take all advise very cautiously, and consider your health.

There are chemicals that can burn the lungs and cause scarring. The lungs are not like other areas of the body. Scarred lungs are permanently damaged.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:08 PM   #10
Tileguy

what do i use?

I know what you mean DM and as a pro I kinda agree...but?

Can you give me the definition of " use in well ventilated space?"

Many fires and injuries caused by not knowing what that means.

Jaz

Old 09-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #11

what do i use?

Quote:
...You can also try methylene chloride, which is the active ingredient in paint strippers to remove the gunk...

Methylene Chloride (or Dichloromethane)...and your health:

"Dichloromethane's volatility and ability to dissolve a wide range of organic compounds makes it an ideal solvent for many chemical processes. Concerns about its health effects have led to a search for alternatives in many of these applications....Dichloromethane is the least toxic of the simple chlorohydrocarbons, but it is not without its health risks as its high volatility makes it an acute inhalation hazard.....In many countries products containing dichloromethane must carry labels warning of its health risks."
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichloromethane

"OSHA considers methylene chloride to be a potential occupational carcinogen."
- http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/methylenechloride/

http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/methylen.html

http://www.hsia.org/white_papers/dcm%20wp.htm

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 09-14-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:16 PM   #12

what do i use?

For the Respiratory Health and overall safety of our members, This thread is now Closed.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 09-14-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Closed Thread