Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Arrow

What do I need for a sub floor on concrete to lay ceramic tile.

We have a cement floor, we are on a very limited budget so we are being forced to do this project (entire house) by ourselves. We have never installed tile before. What type of subfloor and products do we need to purchase. We have the tile and thinset (Keraflor Mortar) at this time. I hear many options and need assistance. We were going to have a contractor do it but I lost my job yesterday so we are going with the DIY project. Wish us luck and Thank You for your assistance. tilequotes@gmail.com

Tile Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
Don't WANNA do it myself

Rewards Points: 500

Is the floor completely flat? Any hydrostatic pressure?

What size tile? What spacing are you planning to use?

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnp13 View Post
Is the floor completely flat? Any hydrostatic pressure?

What size tile? What spacing are you planning to use?
I was not sure what hydrostatic pressure was so I looked it up. I am going to say no to that question. The tile is 13 X 13, all the same color. I have not purchased any spacers yet, so I am open to any suggestions on that. The home is about 1400 square feet and we are doing it all with the same tile. We have most of the home cleared out and all baseboards will be removed and all walls painted first.
I am nervous about doing this but since I lost my job yesterday..after 9 years with the same company, I decided we can try this ourselves. We are in our 60's and have 2 grandsons 19 and 21 that will be our biggest helpers.
I am going to say no to the floor being completely flat in all areas. We had torn up the carpet and purchased the tile ... started to save the money and had roof issues, then one ceiling fell in .. so those funds were used to put on a new roof, and drywall and kilz and so on. We did the drywall ourselves..it may not look professional, but it looks pretty darn good for DIYers.
Thank you for your support and answers. It is deeply appreciated. :D
Old 06-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tile Help View Post
we are being forced to do this project (entire house) by ourselves.
Under threat of jail?

Consider cancelling the job...
or at least postponing it until you can get/afford the right help.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,370

I can not imagine tiling a whole house with tile.
Fine for a kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, entry way.
Going to be one cold hard floor in a living room, or bedroom.
Tile over concrete needs to be level, dry, and cracks dealt with before the tile goes down.
Any cracks may need a product like Red Guard or Ditra.
http://www.schluter.com/6_1_ditra.aspx
PS where do you plan on staying while this is going on?

Last edited by joecaption; 06-19-2014 at 04:47 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #6

I looked at a ground level apartment once for rent and it was tiled entirely through out.... I said you got flood issues and walked out lol
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I can not imagine tiling a whole house with tile.
Fine for a kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, entry way.
Going to be one cold hard floor in a living room, or bedroom.
Tile over concrete needs to be level, dry, and cracks dealt with before the tile goes down.
Any cracks may need a product like Red Guard or Ditra.
http://www.schluter.com/6_1_ditra.aspx
PS where do you plan on staying while this is going on?

Pretty common here.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #8
Don't WANNA do it myself

The first thing you need is a perfectly flat surface, the larger the tile the more perfect your surface must be.

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #9
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,484

I like a tiled home---and see it frequently enough--

Concrete is an ideal surface for tile---so the only preparation needed is to see that it is clean and flat----if it's not flat enough--self leveling compound is used to flatten it to an acceptable level---

The thinset you have chosen is not a modified thinset---you may wish to exchange that for a modified type--or buy the liquid additive to create a modified out of that product---

3/16" space is the most often used with that size tile---
Gymschu (06-22-2014), Tile Help (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Under threat of jail?

Consider cancelling the job...
or at least postponing it until you can get/afford the right help.
The threat of jail? Yes, in my head.
I wish that were an option to wait until we can afford it but that could be a long long time and most of the existing flooring is already torn up. Living on cement floors is not attractive. I hate carpet! In Florida it becomes a sand catcher and once you get a stain it is there forever. I will find a job and get 2 if necessary but if we can do this we will attempt to do our best with assistance from you nice people on diychatroom.com. The roof cost $8,700.00 !!!, Then the pump and bladder had to be replaced...we did those ourselves but had to purchase the pump and bladder. We are not wealthy folks, my hubby has been at his job 16 years, I was at mine 9 years so it is not that we are lazy folks. Just trying to live a simple life, day by day.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
Pretty common here.
We are hoping to have everything out of the home so it can be done fairly quickly. I guess staying in the van for a few nights is not the worse thing that has happened in our lives. We are simple people and do not like to intrude on others. We have tents too. I have not thought this all through, I did not expect for my contract with my job to end. I know to some who have a cash flow this all seems backwoods stuff. I was raised with a single mom..my dad was not there to assist..and she did a good job, we were raise poor; so some of this is natural to me. My motto in life is "love people, not things" I am just wanting to turn our house back into a home.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
Pretty common here.
We are in Florida also. maybe I made the wrong choice opting to go 13 x 13 tile but it was purchased a while back and cannot be returned. :/ As time goes on and the tile is completed we will purchase area rugs for the cold areas and where slippers or socks when needed. Sometimes the cool floor feels good in Florida. Our central air went out also and that is on the list too. I am just trying to keep a positive attitude about all of this. The roof changed the plans of everything. Having to fork out $8,700.00 was a big surprise. I had 3 estimates and they were all within a few hundred dollar range. Now the money left that we saved will need to pay for everyday living until I am able to secure a job or 2. I'm not complaining, I'm not asking for anything, I don't want pity..just some free advise. I am just at a loss of where to go and the impact is just starting to get to me a bit. I was married in PA and was physically and mentally abused for 18 years so this is nothing. I want to just hire someone to come in and do the work, I would have the home cleared out so the job would be faster to complete...but the $$ just went out the door.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:45 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 83

First thing I would do is pour some water on the concrete in different spots. Does it bead up and stay or does absorb into the concrete in about 5 minutes?
olzo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:36 AM   #14
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

You do have a big job ahead of you but it is not impossible.

A few random thoughts:

First of all, you posted your question in the flooring forum. If you look carefully you will see there is a sub-forum for "tiling, ceramics, marble". I would spend some time looking through the threads there. Not only will they answer many of your questions, but probably answer questions you didn't know you had.

http://www.diychatroom.com/f84/

Start in the laundry room or the least visible / least important room. Make your mistakes there instead of the living room or kitchen. If you plan your layout carefully (thinking about doorways, hallways etc.) I don't see why you couldn't do one room at a time.

And don't forget GOOD KNEE-PADS!

Last edited by Blondesense; 06-20-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blondesense For This Useful Post:
mnp13 (06-20-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tile Help View Post
We are in Florida also. maybe I made the wrong choice opting to go 13 x 13 tile but it was purchased a while back and cannot be returned. :/ As time goes on and the tile is completed we will purchase area rugs for the cold areas and where slippers or socks when needed. Sometimes the cool floor feels good in Florida. Our central air went out also and that is on the list too. I am just trying to keep a positive attitude about all of this. The roof changed the plans of everything. Having to fork out $8,700.00 was a big surprise. I had 3 estimates and they were all within a few hundred dollar range. Now the money left that we saved will need to pay for everyday living until I am able to secure a job or 2. I'm not complaining, I'm not asking for anything, I don't want pity..just some free advise. I am just at a loss of where to go and the impact is just starting to get to me a bit. I was married in PA and was physically and mentally abused for 18 years so this is nothing. I want to just hire someone to come in and do the work, I would have the home cleared out so the job would be faster to complete...but the $$ just went out the door.

Mind telling us where in Florida, someone may be able to help??

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tile sub flooring