Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2011, 01:10 AM   #1

Share |

What to do about an unlevel room?

One of the rooms in my house is sloping toward the middle of the house and also sloping side ways near the walls. I will be installing 10mm thick laminate perpendicular to the joists to make the floors stronger. I don't want to use any slc because I'd have to use a lot and that would make the floor to heavy(crawl space underneath). I have heard of people using sand but I am not sure if it is practical. I have also read about people using roofing paper???? If that's so isn't the roofing paper toxic and has tar odor??? I'd hate to put roofing paper in my sons room and have the room smell like tar. Any recommendation to what would be best to use?
Philj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #2

Here one way you can do .

You need 8' straight edge. Usually you put on highest point of your room to see the drop And you can use Roofing Shingles to gradually fix the drop. I am new here I don't know if I can share with my web page or if I can send you a sample pictures hoe that works. So please let me know if you have any questions how that works.... I am flooring installer and I have been fixing wood subfloors that way and it's harmless. About roofing Tar paper you have to use when you install 3/4inch sold wood it works as a moister barrier.
Vahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #3

What kind of roofing shingle is this? A picture would help
Old 04-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #4

Cheapest one that any suppliers caries such as HD or Lowes. Hope pictures will help...good luck : )
Attached Images

Vahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #5

I see so it's just the regular roof shingle. Wouldn't you have a little rise where the shingle starts?