What Is The Correct Way To Redo Stair Treads. - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What is the correct way to redo stair treads.

We are taking off the carpet on our staircase and want to have a runner up the center of the 5' wide staircase with hardwood stairs showing on either side.

It was suggested that we remove the nose of the stair, put a tread on top of the existing stair - but the treads are 1 1/16" which would make the last step before the landing have a shorter rise.

The other suggestion was to use the hardwood floor strips (3/4") on the stairs and put a new nosing on each stair however, this still gives us a shorter rise for the last step and would this be strong enough .

What is the proper way we should do this job?

Advertisement

John/Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

They make stair caps that can be installed on top the treads that give the look of wood stairs with a runner. I buy them through our local supplier (probuild, Wisconsin building supply/stock lumber, etc)

Example:

http://www.ljsmith.net/default.aspx?category=1&page=16#.

Advertisement

Justgaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justgaff View Post
They make stair caps that can be installed on top the treads that give the look of wood stairs with a runner. I buy them through our local supplier (probuild, Wisconsin building supply/stock lumber, etc)

Example:

http://www.ljsmith.net/default.aspx?category=1&page=16#.
I agree with Justgaff, they sell the tread caps in just about any wood you could want. The link to LJ Smith only showed complete stairs for me not the caps. Here is another link to some caps.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=CtvTYYhGkmq

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #4

Coffman stairs as well... Sorry-didn't spend much time looking for link cuz I'm on my phone. Never bought these from big box stores but I do recall seeing them at homedepot-just low selection.

Google stair parts or stair caps. I found this one too: http://www.stairsupplies.com/eng/pro...71_False_Tread
Old 10-13-2011, 12:27 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately all these happen to be about 6" wide. Since we have a 5' stairs we would need ones about 8" wide. I will search the internet for them now that I know what they are called.

Thanks everyone for the help - if you have any other suggetions for us we appreciate it.
John/Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John/Suz
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately all these happen to be about 6" wide. Since we have a 5' stairs we would need ones about 8" wide. I will search the internet for them now that I know what they are called.

Thanks everyone for the help - if you have any other suggetions for us we appreciate it.
We have made our own custom sizes before on several projects. You can buy the nosing material in longer sticks and just cut plywood for caps and risers. Obviously more time consuming, but if u want custom....

Advertisement