Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #1

Share |
Question

What is the correct ratio of thinset mortar to water?

What is the correct ratio of thinset mortar to water and what should the consistency be when fully mixed? Also if I put a sealed top on my bucket how long will the thinset last?

tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Tileguy

Quote:
What is the correct ratio of thinset mortar to water
All thinset mortars come with mixing instructions, read the instructions that come with the product you buy.

Quote:
and what should the consistency be when fully mixed?
Depends on the product but generally creamy peanutbutter is a good place to be. The product must hold a ridge when combed with a notched trowel.

Quote:
Also if I put a sealed top on my bucket how long will the thinset last?
About four hours.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #3

are you sure? read the instructions on the bag> wow
Old 05-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
Tileguy

Mixing ratios vary by product. Most of them talk about mixing an entire fifty pound bag so a little math may be in order, or hence the peanutbutter suggestion.

Some makers recommend five quarts of water per fifty pounds of mix some require six quarts per fifty pounds. When a brand isn't mentioned the thing to do is to read the instructions when the brand is selected.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #5

sounded like reading the bag and taking responsibility for his mix was something he was trying to get someone else to take responsibilty for. makes for great finger pointing
Old 05-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
Tileguy

There are times when I don't understnd the questions then there are times when I understand the questions but can't for the life of me understand why the questions were asked.

Especially on an Internet forum. Anyone that has access to an Internet forum has access to the websites of every product available and all of those websites have all the information anyone could need.

I just don't get it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
bob22 (03-08-2012)
Old 05-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #7

sorry sometimes i speak with my foot in my mouth meant no harm. i have to remember whats obvious to me is not to others
Old 05-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #8

Gentleman, can't we all just get along?
While I generally read instructions on stuff I'm not familiar with, sometimes they don't tell the whole story.
Tripower, you were wondering about the open working time. Like Bud said, it differs with each product. I have never tried to cover a mixed batch in hopes of extending its working time. If you are concerned with how much time you have, as you should be, get all your prep work done first before mixing any mud. Get you layout figured out, dry place some tiles if necessary, move anything out of the way, set your saw up, etc. When everything's ready, then mix up your mud. Don't add all the water at first, especially if mixing a partial batch. I put a little more than half what I figure I need and start adding as I am mixing. Creamy peanutbutter is a good description. You don't want soup. Don't forget to let is sit for 10-15 minutes to set up and remix one more time. Good luck,
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:51 AM   #9

put a little water in the bucket , Use a drill and paint mixer , Mix it till it is stif enough to stand on the side of the bucket sideways and not dribble down when you apply with the notched trowel sideways , Mix a little at a time . I have no idea what the ratio is , But I put about 1 quart of water then a quarter bag , Then add one or the other till i get the consistancy , If it dribbles down or droops it is too wet and it will NOT stand up on a wall , And will flatten on a floor , It has to be sort of stiff , so you have the high ridges to be able to set the tile in a way that allows it to be pressed down a little to lever the tiles to each other , If it goes flat ,It will have no adjustment room, and will squeeze up and juise the tiles , Then you have a lot more clean up , , think of it as , If you painted it wet then tried to set tiles there would be no cushy bed , You need a cushy bed ,to push them into , typically new people get the thinset too wet , Read the directions , Better yet dry cut and fit s bunch of tiles lay them out , mark the cut ones and be ready to lay some before you mix the mortar , tacomahardwoodfloors.com
tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:45 AM   #10
DIY staff

Just a tip---When I add water to the mix I use a sponge--Easy to control the amount of water
and it can be done one handed!
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #11

Thanks to everyone who actually answered this question instead of making judgments. I am tiling for the first time and only need a small amount of mortar to complete my project. FlexBond packaging uses pictures only -- thank you IKEA for creating this genre of useless instructions -- so it did not help me. I will work with the 3:1 ratio and peanut butter consistency. Thanks again.
ktevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post
What is the correct ratio of thinset mortar to water and what should the consistency be when fully mixed? Also if I put a sealed top on my bucket how long will the thinset last?
Wow, no one is ready to give a straight answer to the question? Of course the OP can read the instructions on a bag of mortar, but who wants to mix powder by weight with water by volume??

After a quick test, I can tell you that the ratio is 8 parts thinset mortar by volume to three parts water. Start with that, and if the mixture isn't like a super-thick milkshake (Wendy's Frosty), add 1/2 part water or mortar mix at a time until it sticks to the side of the mixing bucket without sagging but spreads easily.

Last edited by Geedavey; 02-20-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Geedavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #13

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geedavey View Post
Wow, no one is ready to give a straight answer to the question? Of course the OP can read the instructions on a bag of mortar, but who wants to mix powder by weight with water by volume??

After a quick test, I can tell you that the ratio is 8 parts thinset mortar by volume to three parts water. Start with that, and if the mixture isn't like a super-thick milkshake (Wendy's Frosty), add 1/2 part water or mortar mix at a time until it sticks to the side of the mixing bucket without sagging but spreads easily.
Hey Geedavey,

If there were only more people like you, this world would be a better place. Thank you for your straight, postive and most helpful response. Exactly what I (DIYer NOT professional) was looking for, thanks for the SIMPLE 8:3 ratio (as part of the original question).
heliskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #14
Tileguy

Heliskier,

Your comments of commendation are misplaced. There is no set formula that will cover all the brands and types of thin set available. Some say about 6 qts per #50, while some suggest 5. There's also a difference between gray and white.

What is so hard with starting with about 1/2 the recommended water per #50 and adding approx 1/2 a bag, tweaking as you mix? You should almost never mix the whole bag anyway. On a humid day you may need less water, large tiles, small tiles might be mixed differently. Plus the personal preference of mortar consistency.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
framer52 (03-08-2012), oh'mike (03-08-2012)
Old 03-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #15

Thanks JazMan,
1) Small area, not mixing full bag.
2) agree wi Geedavey ... who wants to mix powder by weight with water by volume.
3) Will stick with recommendations of Wendys frosty or peanut butter consistency.
4) Like the sponge tip from oh mike

heliskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heliskier For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-09-2012)