What Comes First Leveling Or Backerboard - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
Insulation/Soundproofing

Rewards Points: 10

What comes first Leveling or backerboard

I'm in the middle of a bathroom makeover. I removed all of the old 3/4" pine board subflooring (mostly rotted from years of leaks). I reinstalled the 3/4" Home advantage moisture resistant plywood from HD! The floor is out of level by about 1/2 to 1" in spots. We bought marble tiles for the finished floor. The question is should I level the floor completely with thinset first. Then after that is cured, add more thinset then backerboard? OR Should I lay the thiset and backerboard to the plywood, then proceed to level the floor with more thinset or SLC. THANKS!!!!! Also, the bathroom is only 6' x 8', so a few extra dollars for the RIGHT material shouldn't be an issue!!!!!! Thanks Again!
MIKE

Advertisement

insulatorpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
Tile Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

backerboard first, then SLC.

Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,238

Hi Mike,

First of all, although it's nice to have a level floor to install tile on, it is not mandatory. What you need is sturdi and flat.

Secondly, to install marble tiles on your floor, you will need to install another sheet of plywood. This underlayment can be as thin as 3/8", but I recommend going as thick as possible.

You can then install a 1/4" tile backer and then level the floor with SLC. (You can NOT level a floor like yours with thinset mortar.) Or you can use the SLC and then install Ditra or NobleSeal CIS.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
Insulation/Soundproofing

Thanks Guys! Hey Jaz, can I use the particleboard underlayment or should I get regular plywood? Also, should I use an adhesive to bond the layers together or would just screwing it be ok? Any preferences on SLC? I know there are a lot out there to choose from. THANKS!
MIKE
Old 08-22-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
Tileguy

Mike,

There is no such think as particleboard "underlayment". Particleboard is junk and can not be used on a floor for ANY application. Maybe you meant to say OSB? Use good quality plywood made with exterior glue.

Do NOT glue the underlayment to the subfloor, unless you can use a liquid type wood glue spread 100% and are able to fasten it super fast. Usually take 2 exp. people. Never use any type of adhesive that comes in a tube. Doing so actually creates voids and makes thing worse.

I don't use SLC enough to have a preference. I'm sure they all works as described. Just follow directions to a T, and don't expect miracles. You may need a primer. You will have to be prepare and work fast. Have enough material on the job, running out creates problems.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:09 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Mike,

There is no such think as particleboard "underlayment". Particleboard is junk and can not be used on a floor for ANY application. ...Jaz

Evidently this home owner never got that memo:

(Small portion of one of our Remodeling projects from this week)
Old 08-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
Insulation/Soundproofing

HOLY CRAP! Plywood it is!!! THANKS!
Old 08-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #8
Tileguy

Yes I know......

Throughout history, people quest to save money and so discover new cheaper products to replace older, proven, but more expensive ones. I too have seen particle board used as subfloors and underlayment, many, many times.

Often these cheaper products are touted by jerks.....ah ahahahahhh, clerks at lumber yards. I'm sure the same clerks who referred to greenboard as at first "water-resistant" and later insisted it was "water-proof drywall" They had, and some still have no clue.

Jaz

Old 08-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #9
Insulation/Soundproofing

One More thing. Can marble tiles stand up to the weight of a cast iron radiator, or should I reinstall and then tile around it??? The thing must weigh 3-400 lbs. Thanks!
MIKE

Last edited by insulatorpro; 08-24-2008 at 10:56 AM. Reason: add signiture
Old 08-27-2008, 04:25 PM   #10

Be extremely careful with marble flooring. Pet urine will eat holes in it, plus completely ruin the surface shine. Bowl cleaners and many other cleaning products contain acids that will also remove the shine from marble. I made the mistake of installing marble flooring in our bathroom. It's just not practical flooring material. Nice for museums and masoleums though.
roncudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:46 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,274

Just one point for future reference. It would have been best to do the leveling before the subfloor was applied rather than afterwards.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:16 AM   #12
Insulation/Soundproofing

Do you think I should level it before I put down the second layer of plywood? What would be the best way to do this? What would hold up to the weight?

Advertisement