Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
Computer Nerd + DIY'er

Share |
Smile

What can I put over mosaic tile?

Hello -

My grandmother has some old, small mosaic tiles in her bathroom. Think 1/2" from 1955. She asked me this weekend if she could put peel and stick over it, and I told her that she most likely could, though it may not be ideal.

After reading over the forums (and using some common sense), it seems like the stick and peel are not a great flooring option. What are the other choices to go over mosaic without having to rip the existing tile floor up? I also think she was going stick and peel since she does not want to create too much of a lip/height difference when going into the bathroom.

Would something like the Allure go well over old mosaics?

Just looking to get some ideas... personally, I told her I would rip out the existing tile and lay new tile, but she was not into that idea.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

OhmZoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Any of the IVC vinyls will work if the floor isn't too rough. And if it is, you can fill the imperfections with a cementious based floor filler.

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #3

Removing and replacing would for sure be the right way to do it but she would loose the use of the bathroom until it was all done and sealed.
Peel and stick would be the very last choice for this job after cardboard boxes glued down with Elma's glue.
Any thin flexible flooring like linoleum will telegraph whatever is below it without proper prep work.
The old floor would need to be stripped and cleaned, sanded with a belt sander and cleaned again, then skip coated with something like Flexbond to get a flat solid surface.
Then you could use sheet linoleum for the best, easy to clean, no seams to leak, low cost flooring.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Computer Nerd + DIY'er

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Any of the IVC vinyls will work if the floor isn't too rough. And if it is, you can fill the imperfections with a cementious based floor filler.

IVC - not familiar with that term. If I Google it, it looks like those are the peel and stick tiles. It sounds like those are not the way to go, but is something like a floating/glued to each other tile like Allure something better? Can it float, or does it (should it) be glued down?

Thanks for the info - as always.
OhmZoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Ivc is a thick, loose lay sheet vinyl that can go down on less than perfect surfaces.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...5470B91B467195
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
K&B Designer

50's mosaics are hip again! I'd just do some loose lay vinyl over them until....... and someone some day will thank you for not damaging them by doing anything more drastic.
Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #7

I'd loose lay something over it. Those tiles are cool and someday someone will love them again.

RustyBones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring advice, tile, vinyl flooring