Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #1

Share |

What am I doing wrong here??? (Tile)

Ok ive never tiled anything up until a few months ago. I have recently started on my third (and final) room in the house. My question pertains to Hardi Board. Why is it that along the gaps of the boards are never level. It seems like putting tape and filling with Mortar usually makes the problem much worse. I am following the install instrcutions as far as distance from edges/corners but it still seems like one side always comes out higher or I have high/low spots where the screws are installed. For some reason I am constantly having to build up/feather out gaps.

veesmack323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by veesmack323
Ok ive never tiled anything up until a few months ago. I have recently started on my third (and final) room in the house. My question pertains to Hardi Board. Why is it that along the gaps of the boards are never level. It seems like putting tape and filling with Mortar usually makes the problem much worse. I am following the install instrcutions as far as distance from edges/corners but it still seems like one side always comes out higher or I have high/low spots where the screws are installed. For some reason I am constantly having to build up/feather out gaps.
Was your subfloor level?
What is under the cbu board?
Did u put it down over thinset?

JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #3

Yes subfloor was level.
Not sure what cbu board is but my subfloor is plywood
Yes it was put down over thinset
Old 05-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by veesmack323
Yes subfloor was level.
Not sure what cbu board is but my subfloor is plywood
Yes it was put down over thinset
Cbu board is hardi backer, durock etc.

What screws did you use to fasten down the cement board?

Did you lay new ply down? If so, what type ply and what direction from joist did u lay it and did you stagger the plywood?
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
Tileguy

It can only be two things, either; You used the wrong trowel or the thin set is too thick and so you have too much mortar under the edges. Or/and you created a "speed-bump" when applying the tape. Many people do that.

Solution, apply the tape while installing the tiles. I don't like to do it that way, but it may be best for most people. I've not had that problem, but being aware of the possibility, I've been careful. I've seen many DIY'rs use a stiff 3" putty knife for this step. No good. You need a flex 6" min. and make sure the thin set is thinner than normal.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:58 AM   #6

The screws I used were the ones designed for hardi board. I also used a 1/4 inch trowel. Im leaning more towards the whole speed bump mainly because before I fill the gap the tiles dont rock. So as far as applying the tape during the tile install does this include filling the gap also? Or should that be done beforehand and let dry? Thanks guys
Old 05-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Tileguy

Quote:
So as far as applying the tape during the tile install does this include filling the gap also?
Yes, fill & tape, then go right back and spread the thin set for the tiles, carefully so not to disturb. You can do the tape step ahead of the tile part. It'll be "plastic" for a while.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote