Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2008, 12:39 AM   #1

Share |

What is this?

I am trying to figure out what my sub floor is composed of. I can see the 1/2" or maybe 3/4" plywood that is attached to the joists. But on top of that, they used some type of board to adhere the vinyl flooring to. They glued it to the plywood & then glued down the vinyl flooring. It doesn't look like typical plywood or OSB.

1 - Did they use pressed-wood/particle board to adhere the vinyl to?
2 - I am installing porcelain tile using DITRA. Do I have to PULL the wood they used to adhere the vinyl floor to? (Mind you, they glued it down)
3- What would be the best way to go about this:

1/4" plywood on top of what's currently there
then DITRA
then TILE
Attached Images

Last edited by JackOfAllTrades; 02-24-2008 at 12:44 AM.
JackOfAllTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:43 AM   #2

What is this?

Structure Board. Rip it out, As you can see the vinyl isnt stuck to it all that well.

It was an experimental underlayment made by Wayerhouser in the early nineties.

Sucks that they glued it down , do you have enough room to go over it with something?

mike costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #3

What is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike costello View Post
Structure Board. Rip it out, As you can see the vinyl isnt stuck to it all that well.

It was an experimental underlayment made by Wayerhouser in the early nineties.

Sucks that they glued it down , do you have enough room to go over it with something?
It will be a pain to rip it out BUT I guess that is what has to be done. If I try and put any plywood ON TOP of it, then the floor height would be too high.

It will be messy ripping it out. Will the plywood that is attached to the joists UNDERNEATH this Structure Board
be damaged when I remove the Structure Board?

After removal, should I use 1/2" or 3/4 Plywood and then DITRA?
Old 02-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #4

What is this?

The other issues are better answered by one of our resident tile experts but yeah, you probably will scar up the plywood underneath during the tear out
mike costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #5

What is this?

I was told that I can screw 1/4" plywood to the TOP of this wafer/particle board and this will provide a good base. I then can lay thinset, then DITRA & then the tile on top.

Does this sound right? This would alleviate the disaster of trying to rip-up that wood that is glued down.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
Tileguy

What is this?

Are you positive it's glued down? It really should be removed, plus you say you don't want to raise things too high, which should be a secondary concern.

You do NOT want to install any 1/4" plywood, does no good and most 1/4" isn't suitable to spread thinset over. (Who told you that, not a tile expert?) The thinnest I recommend it 3/8" underlayment, but thicker is better.

You first need to find out the thickness of the subfloor, hopefully it's 3/4" plywood in good condition. I know removing glued plywood is a pain, I did it once, never again.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #7

What is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Are you positive it's glued down? It really should be removed, plus you say you don't want to raise things too high, which should be a secondary concern.

You do NOT want to install any 1/4" plywood, does no good and most 1/4" isn't suitable to spread thinset over. (Who told you that, not a tile expert?) The thinnest I recommend it 3/8" underlayment, but thicker is better.

You first need to find out the thickness of the subfloor, hopefully it's 3/4" plywood in good condition. I know removing glued plywood is a pain, I did it once, never again.

Jaz
Yes, the used LIQUID NAILS to glue it down.
Below the glued down particle board is 3/4" OSB.
If I rip out the glued particle board, will I damage the 3/4" OSB that is currently there?

Would this work?
Rip out glued particle board. Then attach 1/2" or 3/8" plywood USING SCREWS to the current 3/4" OSB that is attached to the joists. Giving me an 1 1/4" total subfloor. Then on top of the 1/2" or 3/8" plywood, thinset down DITRA and then put down my Porcelain tile?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
Tileguy

What is this?

By gosh........that's a good plan! Be sure to first re-screw the OSB to the joists. Fasten the 1/2" underlayment C/C or better, (NOT the cheap CDX sheathing), only to the subfloor using 1 1/4-1 1/2" screws. Do not screw to joists with longer screws.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:14 AM   #9

What is this?

Quote:
By gosh........that's a good plan! Be sure to first re-screw the OSB to the joists. Fasten the 1/2" underlayment C/C or better, (NOT the cheap CDX sheathing), only to the subfloor using 1 1/4-1 1/2" screws. Do not screw to joists with longer screws.

Jaz
I don't understand the terminology with the "C/C or CDX"? I thought plywood is plywood.

Thanks...
Old 02-27-2008, 04:31 AM   #10

What is this?

http://www.answers.com/topic/plywood?cat=technology

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:45 PM   #11
Tileguy

What is this?

Well.....if you're a Jack, then you must know something about different grades of plywood, I would think. Plywood is just everything else made, it comes in many grades for various uses.

Jaz

Old 02-29-2008, 12:47 AM   #12

What is this?

Lowe's has 'Enhanced AC Plywood' (4x8 @ 1/2") for $27.00
They had OSB for half that price @ $13.00

Hmmm.....
Old 02-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #13
Tileguy

What is this?

Yes....and your point is....? Life is always a compromise between $$ and quality. Heck I'll bet your customer could have hired another handyman instead of you for less?

I'm not sure what "enhanced AC plywood" is compared to UN-enhanced. A/C is a good grade, is it rated "exterior" or exposure 1?

Jaz

Old 03-02-2008, 12:23 AM   #14

What is this?

Quote:

I'm not sure what "enhanced AC plywood" is compared to UN-enhanced. A/C is a good grade, is it rated "exterior" or exposure 1?

Jaz
I am doing this tile job for my home.

They didn't have the exterior rating for it. I asked the guy and he didn't know

I wanted to break-up the tile with a center "mosaic". I found 2x2 inch slate tile that is bound in 12x12 inch mesh pieces. The only problem is the slate is THICKER than the porcelain.

How would one go about, if they can, installing a slightly thicker tile for the mosaic?

The porcelain tile is 1/4" thick, the slate mosaic was 3/8" thick.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #15
Tile Contractor

What is this?

The "enhanced A/C is exterior rated. As for the thickness difference, how big is the porcelain tile, and it's my understanding that you want to do the slate in the center? Or is it the other way around?