Wet Subfloor In Newer Construction - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
YVO

Rewards Points: 10

wet subfloor in newer construction

I am new to this site in search to find a good answer to my question. I had a home inspection done on a home build in 2007 (home has a crawl space). The inspector found leaks under both toilets in the crawl space of this home. He recommended to have the wax seals replaced in both bathrooms to prevent the toilets from leaking. The OSB subfloor seems to be wet from the leaks (I have only seen pictures). I would think, the subfloor needs to be replaced since it has gotten wet and the house is on a crawl space.
I was also told by the inspector, that wax rings need to be replaced every 5-7 yrs. I have never heard that!
Should I insist on replacing the subfloor and and changing the wax rings on the tiolets or is just a wax ring replacement enough. I dont want to purchase this home and end up with major repairs. Its only 5 yrs old! Thanks!

Advertisement

YVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 528

This is a tough question without seeing or being there.

If the house is only 5 years old, the chances are that the subfloor does not need replacing.

as far as wax ring replacement every 5-7 years, that is a new one to me also.

Might be a good thing but have seen many installations of wax rings go 20+ years without a leak.

Did he check the installation of the toilet to make sure it was correct?

Advertisement

framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 746

Is it really OSB or is it Advantec subfloor?
Unless the subfloor is all molded up and falling apart it does not need to be replaced.
Changing a wax ring every 5 years, hmm never heard of that one.
What does often happen is a new rax ring does not get completly sealed when the toilet went in. A plumber setting the toilet is going to compress the ring as much as they can and tighten down the bolts, but only enough so they do not break the bowl. Sometimes after the toilet gets used it compresses the wax some more and it needed to be snuged up a little before the caps go on the bolts. If there not resnuged up again it can leak a little.

Best way to tell what's going on is to simply remove the toilet and push down on the area around the toilet. A house I'm working on now never had the wax ring get sealed at all. Someone installed 3/4 subflooring then had the flange installed. instead of waiting until the underlayment went in. They used 1/2 underlayment and did not use a thicker wax ring so the ring never got compressed at all. The ring still looks like brand new. So it leaked and took out the subfloor and underlayment.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
YVO

I am not sure if he actually checked the installation. That will be my very first question i have to ask him, when I speak to him (I am located in a different state the the home).
In emails with the inspector, he made it sound like the floor is a "treated OSB". Not sure what that is, since I am not a builder.
I will try to upload a picture he has send me. Thx.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
YVO

I have looked at the pictured provided by the inspector. The subfloor is stained by other then that intakt. Extra support beams are needed. How many wax rings should be placed? I have heard about placing 2?
Old 05-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

If this is ceramic tile on top of 1/2" backer board then I always put 1 jumbo ring and cut a regular ring in 1/2 on top of that.

Advertisement

I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote