Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2005, 11:46 AM   #1
Gen Contr

Share |

Wet bed for shower

I'm getting ready to finish building a new shower - plumbing is done, freeform glass block wall and tiled floor/walls nearly ready to start. I have done lots of tiling but never a wetbed. I have the membrane and tiling materials. I am expecting to staple the membrane about 6" up the walls, and to the top of the sill (three 2x8's ) for the glass block, which will be wrapped with wonderboard. I have the appropriate glue to seal the membrane seam where there is an overlap. My questions are: 1. does the membrane need to be stapled to the plywood subfloor throughout the 3x5 shower floor area and 2. do I need to cut and mitre the membrane at the interior corners of the shower so it lays flat & tight to the walls or is bunching up OK? Any help would be appreciated.
Kane Pillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 08:38 PM   #2

Wet bed for shower

In the shower stalls I've built for tile,I've always used a copper pan. I'm not familiar with the membrane type. However, I don't think it would be a good idea to put staples in the bottom of this membrane, you would want too keep it waterproof.How about trying to use the adhesive you have on the bottom and the inside corners. I think it would be better to have the corners a little kinked or overlapped then cut and mitred. I hope this makes sense and maybe even helps! Let us know. Good luck!
plumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 11:21 PM   #3
Contractor

Wet bed for shower

I currently have a customer requesting this inside of a standard masonry pan. I can only think of marine sealers like 5200 or welding. I'll let you know when I get there.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:43 AM   #4
Gen Contr

Wet bed for shower

This website shows a diagram of the application I was questioning:
http://www.noblecompany.com/chlor.html
And they say I can do it in minutes - nothing like putting the pressure on!
Kane Pillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote