Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Port Huron, MI
Posts: 84
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Wavy hardwood floor


Quote "In the first pic you can see one of the larger gaps between the ends of the boards. There are maybe 12 places like this. But we found no evidence of wavyness, at least not in the dining room. "

I think the wavyness he had originally seen when the carpet was down has been eliminated by what he said in subsequent post.

roxksears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #17
Member
 
RetiredSoldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 42
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Wavy hardwood floor


Quote:
Originally Posted by roxksears View Post
Quote "In the first pic you can see one of the larger gaps between the ends of the boards. There are maybe 12 places like this. But we found no evidence of wavyness, at least not in the dining room. "

I think the wavyness he had originally seen when the carpet was down has been eliminated by what he said in subsequent post.
I'm sorry. I guess I didn't make it clear that the wavyness was not a problem on this part of the floor. In the dining area I seem to be having the gap problem at the ends of the board.

Once again, I apologize for the confusion.
RetiredSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #18
Member
 
RetiredSoldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 42
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Wavy hardwood floor


Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel45 View Post
Your floor was put together with pretty common practices of the day. After looking at the pics you posted from below, I'd say the majority of your are coming from flexing in your floor. Looks like your floor joists are 2x8 at best. Do you feel the floor bouncing when you jump up & down on it? Floor squeeks usually come from wood to wood contact & one or both pieces of wood that are in contact moving against each other.

A pretty simple way to test my theory would be to tack a 4x4 to the bottom side of the floor joists & put a couple 2x4 legs down to the basement floor & then walk across your floor & see if it doesn't take away at least some of the squeeking. If it does, then you can sister 2x's on the sides of your floor joists to stiffen them up. Another trick, is to run a bead of construction adhesive right where the floor joists meet the subfloor.

What do you mean by wavy? I don't see any cupping in the boards in the pictures.
The joists look to be 2x10. I'd have to measure to be sure. But I don't feel any bouncing in the floor. The joists are no more than 12ft long, because they only span half the width of the house. The ends rest on a beam and the foundation.
RetiredSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 135
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Wavy hardwood floor


Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSoldier View Post
The joists look to be 2x10. I'd have to measure to be sure. But I don't feel any bouncing in the floor. The joists are no more than 12ft long, because they only span half the width of the house. The ends rest on a beam and the foundation.

The squeeks are wood to wood contact that's moving. Need to narrow down where you're getting that movement before you can solve the problem. As for the gapping on the ends, that's not something I'd get real excited about. Color putty filler will have a matching premixed color. . I buy it at Ace. Wood does not expand lengthwise, so it's not going to get worse.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #20
msv
Hardwood pro
 
msv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lawrenceville, Ga
Posts: 102
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Wavy hardwood floor


you're probably gonna refinish those floors, right? if so, you can fill the gaps with wood filler(putty) between sandings. about the squeaks... get one person in the basement and one walking on the problem spots... the one in the basement can tell if the subfloor is moving relative to the joists... if so, drive screws from the bottom through the joists into the subfloor boards(careful not to go through the flooring, though). if it;s not the subfloor moving, it means it's the flooring. you can face nail those boards moving against each other, set the nails and use matching wood putty....
good luck...
__________________
50% down, 50% after all your complaints....
Atlanta hardwood floors, Atlanta Hardwood Flooring Blog
msv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #21
Member
 
RetiredSoldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 42
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Wavy hardwood floor


Thank you all for the great advice. I'll put it all into my corrective measures.
RetiredSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #22
Civil Engineer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,202
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Wavy hardwood floor


There does not appear to be anything wrong with your subfloor, I have exactly the same type in my house, with 3/4 inch hardwood above it, no problems. I cannot tell from the photo exactly what you have for flooring, it looks like oak, but it may be a preengineered type of flooring. The gaps between the ends of the boards are almost certainly not caused by the subfloor, as there is no reasonable way the subfloor could expand or contract sufficiently to open that size gap where it shows. I think it is possible that the floor was put in that way, as odd as that sounds.

The reason I am wondering if this is preengineered wood rather than 3/4 inch boards is that normally boards are tongue and groove, even on the ends, and unless someone cut the tongues off, that gap looks like it goes all the way to the subfloor level.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #23
Member
 
RetiredSoldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 42
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Wavy hardwood floor


Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
There does not appear to be anything wrong with your subfloor, I have exactly the same type in my house, with 3/4 inch hardwood above it, no problems. I cannot tell from the photo exactly what you have for flooring, it looks like oak, but it may be a preengineered type of flooring. The gaps between the ends of the boards are almost certainly not caused by the subfloor, as there is no reasonable way the subfloor could expand or contract sufficiently to open that size gap where it shows. I think it is possible that the floor was put in that way, as odd as that sounds.

The reason I am wondering if this is preengineered wood rather than 3/4 inch boards is that normally boards are tongue and groove, even on the ends, and unless someone cut the tongues off, that gap looks like it goes all the way to the subfloor level.
Actually it is oak hardwood. If you look straight down at the gaps, you can see the tongue.
RetiredSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #24
Member
 
RetiredSoldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 42
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Wavy hardwood floor


Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel45 View Post
Your floor was put together with pretty common practices of the day. After looking at the pics you posted from below, I'd say the majority of your are coming from flexing in your floor. Looks like your floor joists are 2x8 at best. Do you feel the floor bouncing when you jump up & down on it? Floor squeeks usually come from wood to wood contact & one or both pieces of wood that are in contact moving against each other.

A pretty simple way to test my theory would be to tack a 4x4 to the bottom side of the floor joists & put a couple 2x4 legs down to the basement floor & then walk across your floor & see if it doesn't take away at least some of the squeeking. If it does, then you can sister 2x's on the sides of your floor joists to stiffen them up. Another trick, is to run a bead of construction adhesive right where the floor joists meet the subfloor.

What do you mean by wavy? I don't see any cupping in the boards in the pictures.
You are right, the joists are 2x8. However, they don't flex when someone walks across or jump on them. I do see the subfloor boards flex when walked over.
So with that in mind I think I'd like to screw strips of 3/4" plywood to the underside of the subfloor. I'd make them fit snuggly between the joists. Then I'd use longer screws to pull the oak floor tight to the subfloor & 3/4 plywood. Does this sound like a good fix? Or is there a better way?
RetiredSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 135
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Wavy hardwood floor


Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSoldier View Post
You are right, the joists are 2x8. However, they don't flex when someone walks across or jump on them. I do see the subfloor boards flex when walked over.
So with that in mind I think I'd like to screw strips of 3/4" plywood to the underside of the subfloor. I'd make them fit snuggly between the joists. Then I'd use longer screws to pull the oak floor tight to the subfloor & 3/4 plywood. Does this sound like a good fix? Or is there a better way?

Are the floor joists on 24" centers? I wouldn't think you'd get much flex on 16" centers.

Yeah, you could do exactly what your proposing. May, or may not fix the problem. Should stiffen up the subfloor though. I'd cut at least 1/4" undersized on each side though. #1, no sense fighting with the plywood to get it in there, #2, avoid edge contact with the plywood so you don't potentially create another point to cause squeeks.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #26
Member
 
RetiredSoldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 42
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Wavy hardwood floor


Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel45 View Post
Are the floor joists on 24" centers? I wouldn't think you'd get much flex on 16" centers.

Yeah, you could do exactly what your proposing. May, or may not fix the problem. Should stiffen up the subfloor though. I'd cut at least 1/4" undersized on each side though. #1, no sense fighting with the plywood to get it in there, #2, avoid edge contact with the plywood so you don't potentially create another point to cause squeeks.
Your right 16" on center. I think the flexing may be due to poor board quality. I checked again and found alot of knots and knot holes. Also alot of boards with only what I can describe as a feathered look. The wood fibers are separated. But there is no evidence of water damage or pest damage. Good point about the snug fit = squeeks.
RetiredSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:46 AM   #27
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 26
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Wavy hardwood floor


It's just an old house that has settled a bit unevenly. Mine was built in the 1930s, and we have the same "problems." Idon't think there is much you can do about all the low points and squeaking, unless you have a lot of time and/or a bit of money to invest. This is par for the course I think for older homes, and is usually not a danger - did you have the home inspected?. I just tell my wife that - when our 4-year-old daughter is old enough to try it - there will certainly be no successful sneaking out at night. Haha.

My Old House is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hardwood floor stripping problems cmdrico7812 Flooring 3 09-13-2011 10:58 PM
Carpet in the basement Packer Backer Flooring 16 11-03-2008 11:19 PM
Hazy dusty look on hardwood floor lleegle Flooring 4 07-26-2008 10:04 AM
can engineered hardwood be a floating floor? smythe01 Flooring 10 07-09-2008 10:16 PM
Clear Hardwood Floor Finish With Buildup CuCullin Flooring 3 11-18-2007 02:26 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.