Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #1

Share |

Wavy hardwood floor

I have a hardwood floor under my carpet. I know it because I can see the boards while I am in my basement. I have areas of the floor that are so wavy you can see it transfered through the cartpet. The floor is very squeaky throughout the house. The subfloor is made of planks run at an angle to the floor joists. I am really nervous about tearing up all the relatively new carpeting to examine the boards. My wife likes solid wood and is considering pulling up the carpet. Any advice would be appreciated.

RetiredSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Wavy hardwood floor

Not sure I understand what you are asking. Why are you nervous about tearing up the carpet? The carpet provides no structural support, so you are no more likely to fall through the floor if you tear up the carpet than if you do not tear up the carpet. If you are interested in knowing the reason for the waviness, post some pictures. The word waviness is too vague for me to understand exactly what you are seeing.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #3

Wavy hardwood floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
Not sure I understand what you are asking. Why are you nervous about tearing up the carpet? The carpet provides no structural support, so you are no more likely to fall through the floor if you tear up the carpet than if you do not tear up the carpet. If you are interested in knowing the reason for the waviness, post some pictures. The word waviness is too vague for me to understand exactly what you are seeing.
I am nervous because I don't want to ruin the carpet in the process of inspecting the floor. If the floor turns out to be too stained or damaged to be exposed, then I may not be able to put the carpet back as tightly as before. The wavyness is best described as running parallel with the boards. The joints are uneven. I'd post pics but it would be hard to see through the carpet.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
msv
Hardwood pro

Wavy hardwood floor

how is the flooring installed relative to the floor joists? IMO, the sqeaks are caused by the subflooring, not the flooring, and so is the wavyness... When walking on the high spots, do you feel the floor dip under you weight or not?
Old 01-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #5

Wavy hardwood floor

Well the wife and I decided there is only one way we are going to find out what we have under the carpet. So we tore it up and here is what was found.

In the first pic you can see one of the larger gaps between the ends of the boards. There are maybe 12 places like this. But we found no evidence of wavyness, at least not in the dining room.
Attached Thumbnails
Wavy hardwood floor-maineavebareflr.jpg  

Last edited by RetiredSoldier; 01-10-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #6

Wavy hardwood floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv View Post
how is the flooring installed relative to the floor joists? IMO, the sqeaks are caused by the subflooring, not the flooring, and so is the wavyness... When walking on the high spots, do you feel the floor dip under you weight or not?
The boards are running perpendicular to the floor joists. I agree with you on the subfloor. Maybe because I have 8" boards for a subfloor instead of plywood. I guess the boards have that give between each other.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #7

Wavy hardwood floor

I don't see any pics.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
the Musigician

Wavy hardwood floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel45 View Post
I don't see any pics.
Thank Goodness.... I thought it was just me....

DM
Old 01-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #9

Wavy hardwood floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel45 View Post
I don't see any pics.
They were there before. I don't know what happened. I'll try to fix it.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #10
the Musigician

Wavy hardwood floor

i see them now, but i can't tell what you mean. the quality is all blocky...
can you take a closeup pic and post it a bit larger?

DM
Old 01-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #11

Wavy hardwood floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
i see them now, but i can't tell what you mean. the quality is all blocky...
can you take a closeup pic and post it a bit larger?

DM
What he said. I'm confident we can give you some quality advice if we can see the problem.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #12

Wavy hardwood floor

Here are some better pics.

Here is the gap.

Here is the subfloor from the basement side.
Attached Thumbnails
Wavy hardwood floor-maineaveflr3.jpg   Wavy hardwood floor-mainebareflr2.jpg  
Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #13

Wavy hardwood floor

By wavy do you mean it has high and low points? If you stand on a high point does it give some. Can you easily remove the trim.

Bought a house this year. The two bedroom floors were like that. If you placed a straight edge you saw hills and valleys. I thought it was my floor. I pulled up the trim and the installer had laid the flooring from wall to wall with no gap at all. It was jammed up right against the flooring. The oak flooring had actual risen enough to loosen some of the flooring nails and you could feel the oak flooring give. I pulled up all the wood flooring, a boat load of work. The subfloors were fine, nice and level. I've got diagonal flooring also.

I've started screwing down the boards. Set a bunch screws down on the board. All of sudden I hear plinking coming from the basement. The screws rolled and were dropping on the concrete
oscarMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:37 AM   #14

Wavy hardwood floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarMadison View Post
By wavy do you mean it has high and low points? If you stand on a high point does it give some. Can you easily remove the trim.

Bought a house this year. The two bedroom floors were like that. If you placed a straight edge you saw hills and valleys. I thought it was my floor. I pulled up the trim and the installer had laid the flooring from wall to wall with no gap at all. It was jammed up right against the flooring. The oak flooring had actual risen enough to loosen some of the flooring nails and you could feel the oak flooring give. I pulled up all the wood flooring, a boat load of work. The subfloors were fine, nice and level. I've got diagonal flooring also.

I've started screwing down the boards. Set a bunch screws down on the board. All of sudden I hear plinking coming from the basement. The screws rolled and were dropping on the concrete
I can pull off the trim easily. But after removing the carpet I think my problem is the gaps that are between the ends of the boards. A few are as large as 1/8th inch. I'm wondering if I may just have to pull up all the boards and replace the subfloor with plywood. I figure plywood would be more stable and not produce the defects seen in the floor boards. That's alot of work though. Any other fixes?
Old 01-11-2010, 08:07 AM   #15

Wavy hardwood floor

Your floor was put together with pretty common practices of the day. After looking at the pics you posted from below, I'd say the majority of your are coming from flexing in your floor. Looks like your floor joists are 2x8 at best. Do you feel the floor bouncing when you jump up & down on it? Floor squeeks usually come from wood to wood contact & one or both pieces of wood that are in contact moving against each other.

A pretty simple way to test my theory would be to tack a 4x4 to the bottom side of the floor joists & put a couple 2x4 legs down to the basement floor & then walk across your floor & see if it doesn't take away at least some of the squeeking. If it does, then you can sister 2x's on the sides of your floor joists to stiffen them up. Another trick, is to run a bead of construction adhesive right where the floor joists meet the subfloor.

What do you mean by wavy? I don't see any cupping in the boards in the pictures.