Waterproofing New Construction Shower - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

waterproofing new construction shower

This is a 2 part opinion/questions. Has anyone heard or used a membrane material called Mer-krete?

I am building a new home and the builder swears by this stuff. He is planning to use it to waterproof the tile shower and also in place of a backer board in the kitchen? I know cement board is not supposed to add structural support so is this ok to use?

thanks!!

Advertisement

dyers78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

They might be referring to their Hydro Guard waterproof crack isolation membrane, which can be used over backer boards and under tile. This would work on shower walls but could not be used to form a pan liner, and would not be as "seamless" a form of shower construction as a continuous pan and wall "liner" created with the with Kerdi or similar products.

Advertisement

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,224

Mer-Krete has excellent systems for any tile installation. It'll work fine as long as all details are followed, as with anything else. If you trust him, go for it. You should learn more and double check as work progresses.

I like Kerdi and Ditra, but Schluter has done a better job in promoting their stuff. I consider Mer-Krete more of a product aimed at commercial projects.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

If it is a trowelable/paint-able membrane it is only as good as the guy that makes the application. Those type of membranes can be tricky in some applications and they aren't products that you would want to take any shortcuts with.