Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2009, 02:13 PM   #1

Share |

Waterproof membrane

This is all new to me...

Where does one waterproof with membrane in a bathroom? Recommendations for brands/types of membrane to use?

Thanks!

manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
Tileguy

Waterproof membrane

Showers are of course waterproofed.

Floors can be waterproofed if so desired.

Backsplashes can be waterproofed but not any good reason to do so normally.

What one is waterproofing usually determines which product is more suitable.

This isn't going to be one of those piece-meal threads that will be like pulling teeth to get some information is it?

Old 09-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #3

Waterproof membrane

Thanks for the response. Hope this helps define it better...

I have a 5'x8' bathroom. Around the tub area, I was going to put cement backer board. Didn't know if I membrane over that. Do I membrane the floor as well? Do you have to do anything with the ceiling to waterproof it?
Flooring is slate tiles. The subfloor and ceiling are both concrete slabs.
Walls will have a porcelain tile - tiling floor to ceiling around the tub area and the wall by the sink, the rest of the bathroom, just half of the wall.
Using Mapei Kerabond + addative thinset for the slate flooring. Was told I could use the same for the wall tiles.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
Tileguy

Waterproof membrane

Now are you personally going to do the work or are you trying to get somone to tell you how to ride-heard on your contractor?
Old 09-14-2009, 03:12 PM   #5

Waterproof membrane

I'm not trying to ride my contractor, I'm just trying to be an informed homeowner and trying to make sure that the project comes out the way I want and is built with craftmanship to last for many years to come. Each time I have a conversation with my contractor about small specifics I don't understand, the cost of the project inches up by $2k. I need to understand what is considered "the best approach" and best materials to use. For all the money and time I have invested on this project, I am now feeling like what I was envisioning for the project may not come out, or I might run into problems a few years from now because the contractor tried to shave a few extra cents at my expense. I'm not going to get into a debate over the project cost with the contractor. I just want to understand that if he isn't using the best materials or methods, that I want him to upgrade to the better option, and I'm willing to source the materials to accomplish that. I just don't want a botched project because he's opting for the lower end of things, and he's not providing me with straight answers to understand the difference. If you have any information to share that helps explain how a bathroom remodel is done, I would appreciate that.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
Tileguy

Waterproof membrane

So far you haven't offered any information that would let someone knowledgeable specify anything. If you don't trust this contractor interview some others. If you haven't checked this guys references - do so. If you haven't seen a few of his completed jobs - do so. If you haven't done your homework on your end no one here can keep you out of trouble. Ultimately it is you that must be satisfied with the chosen contractor. Check him out.