Water Under Tile - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

water under tile

Can anyone help me with a question, I'm having some work done in my kitchen, well when the contractor took out my sink he left the line dripping which has caused me to have alot of water underneath my cabinets and tile. Well I know the cabinets are shot and have to be replaced but where the water went under the tiles has cause them to look raised. The contractor says there no possible way that the water caused the tiles to raise up. Everyone i've shown the area of tile to can see the diiference in the floor but the contractor. Is it possible for the water to raise the tile and if so whats the solution?

Advertisement

mcan11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

water under tile

I'm no expert but I have a hard time believing it could raise tile, but I suppose it's plausible. However what may of happened is it actually raised the sub floor itself! Were the cabinets over tile, or is there a "hole" where they used to be? It may have soaked into the plywood and caused it to expand. Still, not good though. Hopefully you can make him repair that for free given it's his fault...

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

water under tile

Yep, Red Squirrel has a point about the subfloor...I have never seen tiles raised from water, however, 3 weeks ago we had heavy rain and my basement bathroom tiles were soaked. When I walked on them, the tiles felt like they were on sponges. I just left them alone to dry and now they are secure again. My question is, why would the contractor allow water to spill out on to the floor in the first place?
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,180

water under tile

Water can damage either the subfloor underneath the tile, especially if it is particle board, or it can damage the thinset underneath the tiles. Most tile jobs are done without using a waterproof barrier such as Ditramat between the thinset and the subfloor, and thinset is simply not designed for long term immersion in water. Sounds like your contractor is doing the logical thing, namely denying all responsibility, however you may want to have an independent third party professional evaluate the cause and amount of damage, especially if you end up claiming against the contractor.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

water under tile

Particle board as as subfloor? Scary..Cheap...but scary~ lol
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

water under tile

The tiles are laid over the concrete so there it no particle board sub-floor.

Advertisement

mcan11B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water damage