Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

water under laminate flooring in basement

so, we have laminate flooring in our basement over harmony 3 in 1 underlayment.

we had an accident today with too much water coming down our outside basement stairwell with some leaf debris. the water backed up because the leaves covered the drain and came through the door seal into the basement (of course, we're homeowners so it seems like this kind of stuff always happens when you least need it tohttp://www.diychatroom.com/images/smilies/sad.gif). i know its definitely not the drain itself because as soon as i swished the leaves around the clear the drain opening the water drained away, no problem, over to the sump pump to be removed. not too much water made it inside, because we heard the sump pump going as soon as we got home and cut off the water.

there's just a very small puddle on TOP of the floor in front of the door. but you can hear squishyness through an area that measures about 3' x 20' when you walk on it.

my husband is prepared to pull up the flooring in that area and replace the underlayment and any damaged laminate.

is there any way i can spare him this work? poor guy finished the entire basement himself (and did a beautiful job too). it took him about a year working here and there and he just finished about 6 months ago.

we're resigned to the reality that we probably have to pull up and replace everything that got wet and replace it after the concrete dries. but i'm just looking for an out for him ^_^ thanks everyone!

ladygryffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,178

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygryffin View Post
so, we have laminate flooring in our basement over harmony 3 in 1 underlayment.

we had an accident today with too much water coming down our outside basement stairwell with some leaf debris. the water backed up because the leaves covered the drain and came through the door seal into the basement (of course, we're homeowners so it seems like this kind of stuff always happens when you least need it tohttp://www.diychatroom.com/images/smilies/sad.gif). i know its definitely not the drain itself because as soon as i swished the leaves around the clear the drain opening the water drained away, no problem, over to the sump pump to be removed. not too much water made it inside, because we heard the sump pump going as soon as we got home and cut off the water.

there's just a very small puddle on TOP of the floor in front of the door. but you can hear squishyness through an area that measures about 3' x 20' when you walk on it.

my husband is prepared to pull up the flooring in that area and replace the underlayment and any damaged laminate.

is there any way i can spare him this work? poor guy finished the entire basement himself (and did a beautiful job too). it took him about a year working here and there and he just finished about 6 months ago.

we're resigned to the reality that we probably have to pull up and replace everything that got wet and replace it after the concrete dries. but i'm just looking for an out for him ^_^ thanks everyone!
Iam sorry to be the bearer of bad news....but I think he should remove what got wet to let it dry out ...so as not to mold.....but you already knew that from your answer..again sorry for your trouble Iam sure your husband did a nice job....consider insurance claim...at least he may get paid to do the repair...

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I had a feeling he was right. I'm hoping we don't need to, but well probably replace that section of underlayment. Luckily we have quite a bit of extra flooring still.
ladygryffin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ladygryffin For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (07-28-2012)

Tags
basement floor leak water, laminate flooring, underlayment, water damage