Water Spots In Douglas Fir - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2011, 12:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

water spots in douglas fir

I decided on a plan of action for my floors. The living room has been sanded at least 2 more times than the bedrooms, so I really didn't want to do a complete sand down. I have enough wood, but it would likely only be good for one more if I did. There are no dents or gouges, the problem is just the finish. So I decided to strip it chemically and scrape. It's working pretty well and I do want the worn look. It's an old house with an old floor and I want it to look like it.
There are some discolorations that are dark spots which I plan to hit lightly with an orbital sander. Then there is the white water damaged area. I will hit it with a sander too, but I can guess the white will still be obvious. The black might be too, but it doesn't look as bad since there is a lot of color variation in the boards.
I considered painting and stenciling the living room, but now I want to leave it natural with some stenciling then poly. I know I could match a paint close enough to somewhat hide the white, but I was just wondering if there is anything I can do for the black stains or the water stains.

The dark stains are not in this image, the water area I have not touched yet. It is really taking some effort but it's looking pretty good. In fact, I kind of hate to sand strip any of the rooms because the problem is just in the finish. But wow, it takes forever and is no fun on hands and knees.
Also, from my previous post, those are rusty nail heads and I am going to have a lot of them to sink.
I believe the correct way to do this entire task is to finish stripping, wash down floor, condition, stencil, then 3 or 4 coats of poly. Does that sound right?
Any ideas to help deal with the stains will be appreciated!

Advertisement

Lisa C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

water spots in douglas fir

nothing a little light sanding didn't fix. Just in case anyone runs into the same.

Advertisement

Lisa C is offline   Reply With Quote