Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #1

Share |

Water damaged subfloor in living room

Hi all!

I have hardwood floors that I planned on having refinished. I had some previous water damage that has since been mostly repaired and the leak stopped. The hardwood floor looks fine, but in the very corner you can push it down. I went down in the basement and you can see the subfloor is rotted out right there. Now this wouldn't be a huge problem as no one will ever actually stand in this spot but I want to get the floors refinished and don't know how they will do that with the floor the way it is.

How hard is it to repair this? It's not fully accessible from the basement because of the joist (which looks fine) and the foundation. Will it ruin my floors to take them up in that corner? Also who do I even call to repair this? Do you think my refinisher might be able to do it or know someone? He's had to have run into problems before, I would assume.

Corcoran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #2

It would seem to me that someone could clean out the old rotted stuff, piece in a new sub-floor piece. Under that put another piece of subfloor blocking it up between the joist. As for who can/should do it...ask your refinisher, or check the local papers for a handyman of sorts. It wouldn't be that difficult, and I would at all cost avoid messing with the hardwood from the top side, considering that the subfloor is open from the bottom.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #3

Pretty hard to repair water damaged subfloor. I tried it once but had to finally give up and get a contractor to finish it up.
arearugs is offline   Reply With Quote