Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #1

Share |

Water Damage

About a month ago, we discovered that our jacuzzi tub was leaking. Apparently this slow drip has been dripping for quite some time. The subfloor is wet underneath the tub, and throughout half of the bathroom. The floor is still saturated all the through.

Should I continue to let the floor dry out, or do you think I will need to replace the sub flooring throughout the bathroom? if I replace the subfloor, this will mean the I have to remove the tub, and two vanities.

Please give some good news

cr_johnson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
Tileguy

Water Damage

What's the floorcovering now?

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #3

Water Damage

Right now it is linoleum...but we plan on replacing with tile either way.
cr_johnson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
Tileguy

Water Damage

I think you should remove the lino along with the 1/4" underlayment that it is stuck to. (Hopefully) Now you should be looking at the subfloor. Have you been running fans and dehumidifiers? You can evaluate what to do at that time. Often the subfloor although damp, will be ok. Sometimes not so much if it was leaking for a long time.

This may be a covered loss? Have you contacted your HO insurance company?

Check back when you figure it out and it's time for tile.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
Tileguy

Water Damage

Jaz hit it right. I was asking because if the current floor covering is sheet vinyl it should be totally removed as soon as possible to facilitate a quicker drying time of the subfloor and to mitigate any further damages.

Let it dry a few days and see what happens. Fans and dehumidifiers are usually in order.

Not all water damage is fatal to the subfloor.

Be sure to document the damage with pictures and contact your insurance company immediately. In my experience this type of damage is always covered by insurance. They won't fix the leak but they will usually pay for any repairs required as a result of a leak.

Don't expect them to pay 100% for an upgrade to ceramic tile from vinyl.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #6

Water Damage

Good morning, cr_johnson05:

I can share 17 years of insurance property damage losses both as a restorer and adjuster. I just lost a long posting that I typed, so I will give you the short version.

STOP all work that you are currently doing!!

There are multiple issues, based on the information you provided. I can answer all of your questions, explain how this loss should be correctly handled and why and how the claims process works.

Again, based on the limited information provided, here are a few key points that I can help you resolve, until further information is provided.

There is only one way to handle this loss:

1) Identify the Source of Loss and Stop the Leak.
2) All damage needs to be photographed and documented.
There is a specific manner in which documentation is prepared.
3) Documentation needs to be prepared for moisture mapping, temperature and relative humidity before any drying procedures is initiated.
4) Concerning the water and excessive moisture content in the flooring, drywall, framing, cabinets and other items, the order of mitigation is extraction, demolition, dehumidification, evaporation and additional demolition.
5) Through detailed question/answer, I can explain whether you need to file a claim or not.
6) Whether you have filed a claim or not, I can provide detailed information, which will help you proceed.

Drying a structure, especially, as in your case, is a specialized field. If proper procedures are not initiated, you will find yourself with Secondary Damage, and this will be worse and more expensive than the initial, Primary Damage, water loss itself.

After we resolve this issue, we can post the exact steps that took place, if you wish.
InsuranceClaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
the Musigician

Water Damage

InsuranceClaims: Thank you for your lengthy posts attempting to assist our members. However, asking them to PM you or share emails is against our rules, and as you may have noticed, you cannot PM yet. This is the reason why.
Our regular members are very watchful of new members attempting all sorts of ways to use/abuse our forum and always report suspicious activity. Please step lightly here until you have proven yourself a member in good standing.

Thank You.

DM
Old 06-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #8

Water Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
InsuranceClaims: Thank you for your lengthy posts attempting to assist our members. However, asking them to PM you or share emails is against our rules, and as you may have noticed, you cannot PM yet. This is the reason why.
Our regular members are very watchful of new members attempting all sorts of ways to use/abuse our forum and always report suspicious activity. Please step lightly here until you have proven yourself a member in good standing.

Thank You.

DM
Thank you for this information......it is now June 12th, and I am seeing your informational posts for the first time; I don't know why I never saw it before......I just did another post on another topic and included the same request for a PM, again, without being aware of your posts.......I will note for future reference to abide by all rules.........can we include our e-mail address in our actual posts? Is that okay? When people are asking for help with insurance property damage losses, there are too many variables and information and to keypunch. That is why I was asking for a PM; to minimize time to solve a problem or not to reveal some people's personal information.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
the Musigician

Water Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsuranceClaims View Post
Thank you for this information......it is now June 12th, and I am seeing your informational posts for the first time; I don't know why I never saw it before......
Perhaps because I never saw your other 6 posts from the last 8 months since you joined. There are hundreds and even thousands every day.

Quote:
can we include our e-mail address in our actual posts? Is that okay?
Nope. It causes too many problems for us as well as you.

Quote:
When people are asking for help with insurance property damage losses, there are too many variables and information and to keypunch.
I'm sorry, but this does not make sense to me. If you type it all in a PM, why not type it here? The whole idea of this forum is to make PUBLIC all information we can so ANYONE can get the answers needed, this will not happen if you try to only help people via PMs. Other than these few things, your posts are detailed, informative and welcome, as long as you keep in mind
the reasons this forum is here.

Thanks!

DM(oderator)
Old 06-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
Tileguy

Water Damage

Quote:
When people are asking for help with insurance property damage losses, there are too many variables and information and to keypunch.
Since when don't you have to "punch keys" to send a PM. I smell a rat. Maybe even a future solicitation for business.

Anything worth telling a single poster is worth telling all posters.
Keep up the good work Insurance Salesman, your six posts over an eight month period have been really helpful to everyone.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
the Musigician

Water Damage

Thanks Bud.
I'm sure he realizes that even PMs can be reported, and the first time he tried to solicit, it would be the last.

(I took care of your problem too. You're Welcome )

DM
Old 06-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
Tileguy

Water Damage

Quote:
(I took care of your problem too. You're Welcome )
So now my prostate is okay again?
Old 06-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #13
the Musigician

Water Damage

Only if you have a Pro state that it is.....

DM
Old 06-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #14

Water Damage

I will keep it simple, and just say that I must not have understood the onsite rules. Thank you for the clarification.