Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2008, 10:42 PM   #1

Share |

Water Damage

Hello I am new to this site.....and really hoping for some assistance or advice. We have laminate flooring in ur kitchen and we placed a mat for the dog's water dish, he knocked it over.

It was at least a half hour before I noticed what had happened and though I wiped it up, it has left a noticible stain. Is there a way to repair without having to rip out the entire floor?

Karebare1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:01 PM   #2
Tileguy

Water Damage

Most laminate floors can be repaired by an experienced flooring guy but the truth is....the fix may be as bad as the damage if you don't have materials left over from the original job to do the fix with.

Laminate floors are trouble and aren't anywhere near what they are sold to be. There are much better choices in flooring.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
Tileguy

Water Damage

I agree that a professional should be able to repair something like this. That is as long as you bought and kept extra material.

Now you know why you should never place pet water dishes on wooden floors, even with a mat under it. Even if it's not overturned, the few drops of water drippings as the pet leaves can ruin laminate and real wooden floors.

I see this all the time. Years ago I installed a Hartco engineered floor in my sister-in-law's floor. Started to show signs of water drippings after a few years, and I replaced it with porcelain tiles after only 8 years. By then the floor needed to be re finished even though no one wore shoes in the house.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:59 AM   #4

Water Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Most laminate floors can be repaired by an experienced flooring guy but the truth is....the fix may be as bad as the damage if you don't have materials left over from the original job to do the fix with.

Laminate floors are trouble and aren't anywhere near what they are sold to be. There are much better choices in flooring.
I agree they're trouble! I was contemplating volunteering to repair damage (split joints etc) at one of the kendo clubs I frequent, but having read this and other posts on this subject, I'll just let it be. People there often tape over the problem joints, looks ugly but is an easy/quick fix. I don't know the brand, but its a 1mm oak veneer over what looks to be MDF. Tearing up a large part of the 12 by 30m, or so, laminate floor to replace a few boards is not something I wish to do!
mgp roofing is offline   Reply With Quote