Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2011, 03:11 AM   #1

Share |

want to use concrete as main floor plz help

hello!
i am a new condo owner, and decided to re-do my floors. i had carpet in main living space, and laminate (which has turned out to be a double layer and very though second layer!) in the kitchen, hallway and bathroom.
i was thinking to lay laminate tongue in groove "wood" down, but then decided i would love to be able to just "clean up" the underlying concrete and use that as a main floor in all areas. my question is
A) CAN I DO THIS? lol? i'm really new at all this, and i am wondering if maybe i would have to seal it? i read a bit about stains, and "optional" gloss sealants, but i don't know if these are for floors specially pored as a main floor? or if there is no difference between that and what is existing under my carpet? anyone have experience with this? I have ripped up the carpet and the underlying cement is lovely (mostly), just some minor glue spots to get out,
B) one significant crack that i will have to fill (any suggestions??-i kind of like the aesthetic, but think a clear or some type of sealant/filler would be needed for functionality)?
C) the concrete under the kitchen however is a bit stained yellowish (from the glue i guess)-anyone have a good suggestion of remover aka to get it closer to it's original gray?
thank you so much for you time!!
Angelica

angelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:42 AM   #2

want to use concrete as main floor plz help

You can stain your concrete. You would have to acic wash it first. There are many types of stains for concrete. You can use a two tone stain and make it look like some Mexican resterants. Or, you can put your first color down, tape a gride pattern on the floor and stain with 2nd color to look like ceramic. Don't forget to fill the crack with a latex modified concrete.
You can also leave the crack and after the first coat, tape a pattern with a thin tape in an illregular pattern to mimic the crack. Then put 2nd coat on. This will give the apperance of natural stone.
You can google "how to stain concrete" and learn the process. It will also give you many ideas. Good luck

woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote